What glue?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a number of blanks about 4"square and 2" thick. I was thinking of gluing some of them together to make a deep bowl or urn type thingameejig. , (they are all from the same plank) What would be the best glue to use and are there any special ways of dong this? I don't mind if the glue line shows as a feature but would rather not have flying saucers in the attic or have them fall apart after turning.

Pete

Bodrighy":3n2i94gi said:
I've got a number of blanks about 4"square and 2" thick. I was thinking of gluing some of them together to make a deep bowl or urn type thingameejig. , (they are all from the same plank) What would be the best glue to use and are there any special ways of dong this? I don't mind if the glue line shows as a feature but would rather not have flying saucers in the attic or have them fall apart after turning.

Pete

I would suggest doing what I do for the stripy pots seen here.

Mount all your pieces and clean one side up flat (steel rule rules)

Turn and finish the base as normal, including hollowing out centre, finish inside base area and true up end face, (steel rule rules)
leave outside rough turned.

Glue next piece to it using previously cleaned up surface, PVA Glue is fine. (use tailstock to support and clamp)

When dry, part out centre through to base section clean up internal to match previous piece and face off end face square (steel rule rules again)

Keep stacking them as required.

Finish turn outside face and cleanup inner bore.

As long as you have a good true socket or spigot in/on the base you can remove it after each glue up to do something else and remount for next glue-up over night or whenever you are leaving shed for a while.

I actually part concentric rings in my segments about half way through when truing first face so that I have less to part through after glue-up and this gives me two or three rings from each piece when parted out.

Will post a couple of pics tomorrow of my bin full of 'future project' bits.

Pete.
I use P.V.A.
Just put a thin coat on each piece then rub them together,and clamp it up as tight as you can,wiping the excess glue off :)
Paul.J.

Hi Pete, pva may be fine but a couple of friends who're into segmented work swear by Titebond...

Thanks guys,

I was looking at the adhesives on the Axminster site and got lost for choice. That Titebond sounds pretty good stuff. Either that or PVA so far.

Thanks for the advice Chas, I vaguely remember you doing this before when I was browsing through the threads. You cut some out and stuck new bottoms on them or something.

Bought some pva from Screwfix (we're lucky enough to have one of their outlets in town so there's no postage :wink: ) ...their 'no nonsense' brand at £6.99/5ltr. Great for sealing log ends etc

Makes Titebond look expensive but I'm guessing there's a difference in holding power...

Bodrighy":2bdvdbwu said:
Thanks for the advice Chas, I vaguely remember you doing this before when I was browsing through the threads. You cut some out and stuck new bottoms on them or something.

I was actually referring to the little pots, it just speeds things up if you prepare as many pieces as possible at each lathe setup.

This is my bucket of bits for more 'pencil holder' type pots.
DSC02079%20(Small).JPG

Be careful if buying Titebond not to buy too large a quantity, I have no experience of using it as yet but I believe it may not have a long shelf life if you forget to seal the bottle and let moist air get to it.

EDIT:Anybody have an input on this limitation, if there is one or otherwise.

Whilst inputting to another thread (on using Google site search) I came up with some good input by Scrit in a thread on this subject in 2005.

Whatever question you have, someone has done it before on this thread. If asomeone had the time and patience a good reference book could be made from all the advice on here.

Thanks again Chas. I have a bag with bits from parting off etc. Might be worth looking at it and seeing what can be made from them.

Now I just need some glue. PVA sounds the best bet.

Thanks again everyone....where's my card

Pete

Pete.
I've found pva to be a very versatile glue.
I bought the 5l tub from Screwfix when it was cheaper than what it now,it's just as good as the Evo brand.Been used on many projects.
I glued my first bowl using this glue,the Oak one,set fine over night and turned fine.
Just be careful when you do glue pieces together that the it don't slip apart.This will happen even after you think you have clamped them tightly together.Check a few minutes after :roll:
Paul.J.

FWIW I've used various PVAs over the years, and more recently Titebond - and I've had good results with all of them.
But then a lot of my construction tends to owe much to the Forth Bridge concept of dainty - the family regularly advise me that should the house fall down my cupboard/wardrobe/bookcase will obviously remain standing.

I've only had one unplanned launch, when I was just too slow in reacting to a change in the chisel-to-wood sound. I think the probable cause was my slightly slapdash face flattening - thinking glue + paper + glue would bridge anything - so I nearly got some highspeed personal face flattening instead.

Back