What finish would be best for walnut veneered cabinets ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FestoolFishy

Established Member
Reaction score
I am currently making four cabinets for my shower room using MRMDF wood veneered in American Black Walnut and English Sycamore
I have managed to veneer all 28 pieces but my real worry is the best finish to use in a shower room !!
I am hoping to get a waterproof / sealed finish of course and am thinking shellac, oil varnish, wax, Surfix or Osmo oil.

Help needed please let me know your thoughts or experiences

Regards
Peter

Think outdoors, think boats i.e. a yacht type varnish. Having said that something like Danish Oil (which is usually a form of an Oil varnish) might stand up to some steamy conditions, not that I've tried it.
Shellac seems to be fine with water until said water starts getting warm/hot. I'm guessing that an Oil varnish might stand up a little better to shower room conditions than shellac.

I normally use Danish oil on walnut. It will darken considerably, but really bring out the figure in the timber. I've never used it in a bathroom, but I don't think you can go wrong with Danish oil. You can build the coats up to get the depth of shine you want.

Osmo is the easiest, but I don't know that I'd trust it on horizontal surfaces in a shower room. Danish is quite easy to use, and OK for external use, so should be fine with water. Both are relatively easy to repair. Rustin's Plastic Coating is practically indestructable, so is worth a thought.

Latest posts

Back