What does 'clear cuttings' mean?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjamino613

Established Member
Reaction score
In an effort to understand timber grading better, I often see the term 'clear cuttings' referenced in various grading criteria. Can someone explain what this actually means, and what it excludes etc?

many thanks :)

benjy

Clear as in boards means there mostly knot and defect free. May be different terms used in different countries but here in Oz clear cutting or clear felling means taking out all the trees on a bit of land.
Regards
John

Clear as in boards means there mostly knot and defect free. May be different terms used in different countries but here in Oz clear cutting or clear felling means taking out all the trees on a bit of land.
Regards
John

Thanks John, yes I became aware that there is some conflicting in terms between grading timber and the term used for felling / logging.

What I think I have understood correctly is that if a certain grade requires 4" x 7' 'clear cutting' on say an 8ft board, then it means there must be enough timber free of knots and defects to make such a 'clear cutting' on that board, otherwise it will be graded down.

I still need to figure out exactly if that means it has to be a single peice of 'clear cutting' or if it can be 2 peices or more etc. And what about sapwood, is that considered a defect for say American Walnut?

thanks for you help and anyone else feel free to chip in!

In an effort to understand timber grading better, I often see the term 'clear cuttings' referenced in various grading criteria. Can someone explain what this actually means, and what it excludes etc?
Clear cuttings refers to the visual quality of the wide face or faces of a board involving assessing the number of visible faults and the length and width of clear cuttings that can be won out of a board. Systems, rules and categorising the boards varies from country to country or region to region. The American Appearance Grading system is one grading system, as is The French Timber Association system for allocating visual characteristics.

Essentially clear cuttings is a term for a visual appearance assessment of a board and really has nothing to do with assessment for a board's strength. Using the term clear cuttings as a descriptor for a board is generally a bit meaningless without it being linked to grading criteria, e.g., if buying what are classed as FAS (First and Second face) boards in the American Appearance Grading system the FAS rules specify the minimum length and width of fault free clear cuttings (knots, etc) permissible in a board. Slainte.

Clear cuttings refers to the visual quality of the wide face or faces of a board involving assessing the number of visible faults and the length and width of clear cuttings that can be won out of a board. Systems, rules and categorising the boards varies from country to country or region to region. The American Appearance Grading system is one grading system, as is The French Timber Association system for allocating visual characteristics.

Essentially clear cuttings is a term for a visual appearance assessment of a board and really has nothing to do with assessment for a board's strength. Using the term clear cuttings as a descriptor for a board is generally a bit meaningless without it being linked to grading criteria, e.g., if buying what are classed as FAS (First and Second face) boards in the American Appearance Grading system the FAS rules specify the minimum length and width of fault free clear cuttings (knots, etc) permissible in a board. Slainte.
thanks!

Latest posts

Back