What do I actually need.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlawrence

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all you turners.
I quite fancy getting a lathe - but don't have even the slightest clue what I need.
I envisage that it'll be used mainly for things like pens, knobs, perhaps the odd bowl.
I can't see myself needing anything big - ie I'm unlikely to be trying anything more than 12" long.
Are there any lathes out there which are that sort of size - ie small ?
Oh, and what do I need gouge wise ?

TIA

Jon

Hi, and welcome

Where to start. There are plenty of smaller lathes. The Axminster AWSL and the Axminster AWVSL, Jet JML-1014 Mini are all good lathes. Most turn up to about 9" diameter an maybe 10" length though some can have extensions added to the bed to turn longer stuff. Next step up would be something like the Axminster AWVSL900 which will give you a much wider range in both diameter and length. Ideally you are better going for bigger than smaller as you can turn small on a big lathe but not the reverse. These all cost from just over £200 downwards.

Tool wise you need a bowl, spindle gouge, a parting tool and a skew. Loads more tools but quite frankly these will cover virtually anything that you are likely to make at first and other tools are advantageous but not necessary.

Be warned, few of us stop at just a small lathe and a few tools. The slope is slippery and steep :lol:

No doubt others will be along with advice soon

pete

It doesn't stop there, you need abrasives and finishes and all manner of stuff.

The Axminster AWVSL is a lovely little lathe, it is heavy but just about portable.

Where are you based? talk to your local AWGB club, mine has a loan kit, lathe finishes, chuck etc they hire out to newbies at £5 a month

I have no doubt that I'll want to upgrade to something bigger at somepoint. But to begin with a small lathe will be ideal. I don't know why but I never imagined I'd be able to get a reasonable lathe at that sort of price.

Hi,

Hows Weston ( spent 18 months at Locking in my youth )

Go along to http://weston-woodturningcircle.co.uk/ see a few demos, and someone will drag you back to a workshop for some hands on.

You can decende then how much money to spend on the lathe, chucks, bandsaw, shed extention, abranet, finshes, grinder, extraction etc............

oh and welcome !

What you spend on the lathe is only half the amount you will soon spend. Tools, grinder, chuck, abrasive, polish, drills, bandsaw, travelling to craft shops and shows and looking for timber etc. It's great fun, but not generally a paying hobby.

jlawrence":8s9fzom5 said:
. . . I quite fancy getting a lathe - but don't have even the slightest clue what I need. . .

What you need is to forget the whole idea and do some proper woodworking. I'm sure that Mike G or others can provide counselling :wink: :lol:

Steve

Just noticed that This guy is no woodwork noob and probably has extraction, sharpening, abrasives and finishes already.

My appologies.

Ps - Nice Blog !

loz":1l5k98ap said:
Just noticed that This guy is no woodwork noob and probably has extraction, sharpening, abrasives and finishes already.

My appologies.

Ps - Nice Blog !

But no knobs for the chest so needs a lathe :lol:

I am sure you are already aware of all the 'extras' needed for any type of woodwork so I was just offering suggestions to get started with turning. If you suspect yopu will upgrade later then if you can I would suggest going as big as possible to start. Like most things it depends on cash.If you would be happy to go 2nd hand then the choice is far greater and you could get something really worthwhile.

Pete

LOL. I most certainly am a noob. I've really no idea what equipment is needed for turning other than a lathe.
Thanks for the link to the woodturning circle - I'll try and pop along and see what's what.
My use would be primarily for knobs etc but I've no doubt that I'd want to try and wreck a bowl at somepoint.

Ivé been wrecking bowls for two years now - its quite addictive !!!!

Aled, if I had 375 going spare I would take you up on that.
It's likely to be at least a month before I can actually buy - I need to shift some rubbish out of the loft onto some poor ebayer to pay for it :).

Slope Alert!!! Slope Alert!!!!

"Just turning a few knobs and legs for furniture" is how I started.....

000203F4.gif

Richard

Back