What can I cook for a Christmas meal. ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christoph clark

Established Member
Reaction score
Next Saturday we are having a Christmas meal with some friends. A sit down meal rather than finger food from Iceland .

I need to cook something special but not turkey and stuffing.
First idea was beef bourguignon but SWIMBO doesn't think it's special enough.

We only have to worry about the main couse as the cooking is shared between us.
Many thanks

xmas_europe.jpg

As you are in France, how about a Pintade (Guinea Fowl), roasted, with chestnuts and a dark sauce?

Foie Gras as a starter and loads of desserts! You should try to get oysters in there somewhere as well.

ByronBlack":2w1b29st said:
Duck is the future.
We're going away to Taiwan for the Christmas period so we're having our 'Christmas Dinner' this Sunday. I've ordered a duck to collect from the butcher on Saturday - haven't decided exactly how I'm doing it yet, but it will be Western rather than Oriental this time :D

Dave S":1lf8zhvn said:
ByronBlack":1lf8zhvn said:
Duck is the future.
We're going away to Taiwan for the Christmas period so we're having our 'Christmas Dinner' this Sunday. I've ordered a duck to collect from the butcher on Saturday - haven't decided exactly how I'm doing it yet, but it will be Western rather than Oriental this time :D

Roast slowly with a covering of goose fat, bacon and tyhme..

My mate Keith and I have been eating for years. That is to say our entire friendship has been based on a couple of decades of wining and dining. Until Woman and Baby came along, that is. Still, he's happy. Actually Baby is quite cute. (What am I saying? Nurse! NURSE!)

But to the point. We decided, a long time ago, that restaurants at Christmas time give very poor value for money and, given that were are both competent in the cucina, we could do better ourselves. So we agreed to cook the World's Best Dinner between us. We'd have the same budget that we would have if we went out, but spend it on a home-grown meal.

This year we are eating tomorrow.

Keith is bringing starter and dessert. The starter is Portobello mushrooms stuffed with gorgonzola and wrapped in prosciutto. I don't know what he's bringing for dessert.

For the main course we are having Beouf Bourgignon. I've just sweated a carrot, onion, half a head of garlic and a celery stick with some thyme and a couple of bay leaves. One bottle of burgundy and 15 minutes reducing later I have the most delicious-looking (and smelling) marinade. It's going to sit until tomorrow afternoon, when I'll brown the beef, throw in a good pile of shallots and mushroom, some organic beef stock and cook it over a candle for a week. I forget what else goes in. A bit of this and a bit of that, I suppose.

I'll let you know if it's as good as it sounds, shall I? I plan to serve it with broccoli and mashed potatoes with celeriac and Dijon.

Tonight we had Lancashire Hotpot - very underrated.
S

Christmas dinner for my family in the last few years has been at my sister's house. My brother brings his "Mexican Lasagna" (think wide noodles, ground beef, cheese, cumin and jalapeno peppers) and a Caesar salad.

Two years ago, within an hour of eating dinner, I came down with the worst case of the flu I've ever had. Now I can't eat that meal without wondering if its going to come out the way it went in. :roll:

Green":1exf3yp5 said:
I like the usual turkey with stuffing and brussels. Has it gone out of fashion?

Not always easy to source in France. I've never seen a whole turkey in a supermarket, for example (though it should be possible to get one from a farmer).

I always love it when I get a special burger!

Two burgers on one bap, bacon and cheese! mmmmmm!!!! :lol:

:arrow: Don't know what I'm having for xmas dinner this year, going away to benidorm to a 4 star hotel. Mean't to be having a 5 course gala meal!

In France? Goodness, the choice is endless......

How about venison? Our favourite Christmas dinner ever was venison many years ago......banned latterly by our children ("you can't eat Bambi"). If not Bambi, then wouldn't a casserole of wild boar and wild mushrooms be a good idea? We avoid being too fancy with all the preparation and extras because of all the unexpected interruptions......

......actually, what am I talking about. I don't really care what on earth the meat is as long as the roast potatoes are spot on, and the christmas cake has home-made marzipan about an inch thick!!!

Mike

Traditionally in France the main Christmas meal (often eaten at midnight on Christmas Eve) consists of:

Paté de foie gras (with Sauternes)
Fish or shellfish (usually oysters, could be smoked salmon)
Main course - roasted meat, often fowl such as goose, pintade or capon with winter vegetables and chestnuts.
Dessert - buche de noel, the Yule Log or a selection of small desserts. With champagne.

I'm not sure how well French potatoes would roast - it isn't something they do, usually frying or steaming them. Perhaps the varieties sold for chips would do.

I think I would go to a good boucherie and ask for advice and suggestions.

ONe of the best Christmas meals I had was 2 years ago when the kids woke up ill on Christmas day and we changed our plans and stayed at home. We hadn't been christmas food shopping so we ended up with beans on toast with a sprinkling of cheese. Quick to prepare and no washing up..yum yum

Sanglier or cheval

A leg of wild boar can be pot roasted nice and slow, the horse meat just flash fried/grilled.

Mussels to start and delicacies from local boulanger to finish.

Cheers

Andy

You could try WMW Fowlers recipe for seagull stew…

'Having shot your cormorant, hold it well away from the body ..these birds are extremely verminous and the lice are said not to be host specific. Hang up by the feet with wire, soak in petrol and set on fire. This removes the feathers and the lice. When the smoke has cleared cut off the beak. Bury the carcass in a light sandy machair type soil for a fortnight. This is said to remove the taste of rotting fish. Dig up the bird, skin and draw it. Place in a strong solution of salt and water for 48 hours. Remove, dry and stuff the bird with whole unpeeled onions..the onion skins are supposed to bleach the meat from black to dark brown.

Simmer gently in seawater - to which 2 tsbs of chloride of lime have been added - for six hours. This has a further tenderising effect. Meanwhile mix up a thick paste of methylated spirit and curry powder spreading the mixture liberally over the breast of the bird. Finally roast in a hot oven for three hours.

The stew is now ready and the taste is indescribable, throw it away immediately

Thing is Lutefisk also sounds like a joke then you find out its for real!

I'm doing the Christmas meal this year for the first time. Strangely, I'm looking forward to it. For some reason every year is such a faff, with the hens clucking around, arguing about this and that. This year they can get out of my kitchen and wait for it to arrive on the table. Which, incidentally, will be on time, not at 5pm!

Good, now I've got the first rant of the day out of the way. I'd go with Goose or Duck. Both xmasy, both quite easy, both delicious.

If there is one country I'd like to be in for xmas, it's France. That's the type of food I want on xmas day.

I'm hungry

As we don't eat much chicken these days (not after seeing Jamie O and HFW's programmes on the telly earlier) I suggested to SWIMBO last night that we have a decent sized organic chicken (sounds a bit boring but turkey always comes out too dry for my liking)...that's after a visit to the Cathedral for the Christmas morning service and then back home for a bottle of Tattinger - Rob

I cook my turkey different to the tradition. I bone out the crown but leave the skin on, so I'm left with 2 breasts. I stuff the cavity then wrap the skin around the 2 breasts and then wrap it in cling film and put it in the fridge. When it comes to roasting it, remove the cling film, put the drumsticks in the tray and the crown on top. You get a lovely juicy succulent crown and the drumsticks brown up and impart flavour for the gravy. Plus it all cooks much much quicker. I never understand why people try to cram these huge cavernous birds into the cooker then moan when it's all dry and unevenly cooked.

Back