What Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbertel

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I would like some advice on what sort of band saw will rip upto 75mm mainly softwood and occasionally dry oak, into straight 20mm strips please. I know about wood and construction but nothing about bandsaws! I am an occasional user and it would become one of several woodworking machines I already own i.e. dewalt 745 bench saw, 720 radial arm saw and a Performance Power portable thicknesser. This post has been prompted by Screwfixs promotion on Scheppach Basato 1 195mm Bandsaw at £169.99 which seems incredibly cheap. The reviews seem very variable with the positive ones coming from small piece/section users.

Ideally I would like to spend less than £250 but is this realistic?

Many thanks

Hi

Was in same boat yesterday and ended up going for the Axminster Hobby Series AWHBS250N Bandsaw after a weekend of research. Managed to find some good reviews on this and it appears to be an updated Record Power BS250 which has had some good reviews. It also comes with an extra Azcaliber blade which are not meant to be that bad. Although Straight away after I ordered the bandsaw I also ordered a couple of blades from Tuffsaws. So can't tell you much about it at the moment until it turns up .. tomorrow I believe. But even then i'm a noob so my opinion even then will not be worth much i'm afraid to say. But this was the one I went for after a lot of digging about in google.

First post so I hope it is at least a bit helpful :oops:

Neil

i would use your table saw to do it, and save the money on the bandsaw. 75mm softwood should be cheap enough that the difference in blade thickness and bandsaw thickness isn't going to cost you anything much.

Usual caveats for safety- make sure riving knife and guard are fitted, research short rip fence, USE 2 PUSH STICKS.

75 mm softwood shouldn't challenge any bandsaw, if you do choose to buy. Personally, I would look for a kity or an incra, but that is my expectation that i would want to use it on thicker stock.

I got myself one of the Axminster Bandsaws - what would now be the Hobby Series AWHBS250N Bandsaw.
I've had it a couple of years now and it's a nice reliable. I've been able to use if to resaw White Oak up to about 4.5 inches high and 3 or 4 feet long with no problem using the Axcalibur blades. The supplied mitre fence is rubbish but it's no big chore to make your own. The only thing I'd as a caution about it is to be certain you will only need to work on smaller stock. I sometimes find that the stock I want to work on now is just a bit too big which can be a bit frustrating at times. Also, dust collection could be a bit better but that might just be the way I've got it setup.

On thing to note as these weigh for a bench top machine, 2 floors up didn't help the mood of the driver especially when I told him it was supposed to have been delievered at my work place. Looks Ok but still have not had a chance to try it out. :(

Almost any bandsaw will cut 75mm. Whether is is straight and true is largely dependent on the blade toothology chosen and the setup.
S
PS I think I've invented a new word.

And get a bandsaw and you are suddenly in the world of tensioning... omg there must be an easy way as at the moment there seems to be no way. Only good thing about the low end bandsaws is that with a good blade you can't really over tension. Creaters of these things should add some easier method than pushing the blade with 'x' amount of pressure or until the blade sings the right tune. I need an idiots guide to tensioning.

Latest posts

Back