What are the definitive smells of the 70s?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine recounts the story of going to the butchers with his mother. She ordered a sheep's head. When the butcher asked if it was for the dog, she said " No. its's a treat for the children"

A friend of mine recounts the story of going to the butchers with his mother. She ordered a sheep's head. When the butcher asked if it was for the dog, she said " No. its's a treat for the children"
My grandfather was a slaughterman during WW2. He told me the one animal they had problems finding anyone to slaughter was a kid - they cried like human babies when being killed. One of his favourite meals strangely enough was tripe, and about the only thing he refused to eat was a chicken supplied with any one of the giblets missing - he said it was because the heart, liver etc. showed the animal was diseased before the carcass did. He wouldn't eat chicken at all now, they never come with giblets. My grandmother made his pasties with a two or three cubic inch piece of beef fat in middle which was removed before the thing was eaten.

For anyone seriously interested in food, this is excellent - The Last Food of England by Yeatman, Marwood, Yeatman, Anya: Good (2007) | WeBuyBooks

others available.

Latest posts

Back