what are CLIFTON doing.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":vo7futcz said:
Wild cooincidence territory ... over the weekend on Quest "How It's made" had two consecutive episodes, one showing Flinn Garlick making one and two man cross cut logging saws, the other showing (green)Clifton planes.

BugBear

I can't post links, the US versions of those shorts have been pirated onto youtube for a while (if I'm correct in it
being the same production).

Search for

"How it's made crosscut saws"
and
"How it's made bench planes"

if you missed it and are interested.

Good to see that video again Peter :)

No excuse needed to put up these pictures of my own Cliffies again !

Still can't get my head around the idea that changing the colour is anything but a huge mistake and losing some of the heritage, there's no magic in grey ! :shock: :roll:

Cheers, Paul

paulm":66qhtg2c said:
Good to see that video again Peter :)

No excuse needed to put up these pictures of my own Cliffies again !

Still can't get my head around the idea that changing the colour is anything but a huge mistake and losing some of the heritage, there's no magic in grey ! :shock: :roll:

Cheers, Paul

It's going to make these more collectable though, end of an era Paul

paulm":210qwla6 said:

It also means some people won't be buying new - who wants one in Green (a previous buy) and another in whatever...

That green is a stand-out colour Imho.

yetihunting":239pi7o6 said:
Long time listener, first time caller.

I liked the old look, I like the new look!
"Graphite", so depending on lighting, it looks
either somewhat bare iron or somewhat black, right?
Those times I tried fiddling with old Stanleys, the tar
was the first thing to go. And my pair of czech record clone vises?
They're about to get stripped just as well.

Here's a one guy in the states that drools over Clifton planes.
Our dollar is weak against the pound, and shipping is a week
in pounds across a pond. :D
In 2014, the Clifton lineup is a little to a lot more expensive than
Lie-Nielsen, which, in turn, is a little to a lot more than Veritas.
So, like many North Americans, I look and don't touch.
Since everyone decided to chime in with opinions, I'll throw
my bid in for finding a way to compete out here, price-wise, while staying profitable.
It can't be easy, the competition only sells direct (no distributor and virtually no retailers) on my continent.

A #3 is cheaper (here) in the usa than in the uk - i've not compared the others:

The Best Things

Fromey":213aex6c said:
paulm, tell me your address. I may take up a life of crime!

Haha, no chance, but if you can "acquire" the number 4 in that series from that Paul Chapman guy I'll see you alright :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Paul

iNewbie":3ql2fp83 said:
paulm":3ql2fp83 said:
Still can't get my head around the idea that changing the colour is anything but a huge mistake and losing some of the heritage, there's no magic in grey!
It also means some people won't be buying new - who wants one in Green (a previous buy) and another in whatever....
What difference does a colour change make to performance if all else remains the same in terms of manufacturing standards, and the tool user's experience? I suppose it depends to some extent if you're perhaps a bit more interested in collecting than using. My Clifton no. 4 includes in the casting the identification mark 2000-1C, which I think indicates it was one of the original 100 no. 4s ever produced. I suppose that fairly rare characteristic might make the tool slightly more collectable than later models. But to be honest I'm really only interested in the fact the tool works well: that no. 4 and an old Spiers are my two 'go to' planes for smoothing tasks prior to any scraping, sanding and polishing.

If I were now looking to replace some of my other non-Clifton planes with a Clifton I can't see me scouring the second-hand market for the green coloured ones just because I've decided I'm not so keen on a different colour. If the Thomas Flinn versions retain all the engineering qualities of the original Clifton made models (or perhaps even improves them) and the price suits my budget, then green, grey, maroon, shocking pink (well, maybe not the last one) wouldn't be a deciding factor for me. Slainte.

i know we tend to poo poo the "C" word around these parts but having had Mr Russell's tome (no...huge lump! :shock: ) for a few days now and suffering severe kneecap damage and groin injuries by trying to read it in bed...I can honestly say...thank Heavens there are c*llect*rs out there!

His book demonstrates how obsessive acquisition of old (and selected new) tools can benefit others immensely.

I used to think that buying planes such as the green Cliftons...and special editions too boot...was wasteful but now not so...I have completely changed my mind! 8)

The question is...if they were to make another "special edition" series in graphite...would they be popular additions to the green ones resting on shelves in this parish?

I will add however, that I do still use all my tools...whatever the reason I purchased them for...because for me, that's part of the experience. Will this devalue them...sure...but I didn't buy them to sell them on someday "mint in box"...I want to add patina to them...and try not to break them in the process.

Now...having mentioned the "C" word a few times I feel justified in spending tomorrow trawling known hunting grounds for more of Christopher's finest...

(phew! I think I got away with that! :wink: )

Jimi

p.s. the wonky logo is cute! The green colour...iconic! (did they run out of old stock from Jaguar or did it just go off?)

Reading that book in bed - it weighs a ton!

Sadly the collection is being sold off and a great pity it wasn't saved for the nation? Now we just have the glorious photos as reference.

I use all my tools and some get damaged in the process, especially when they miss the rubber floor mats and dive instead for concrete!!

Rod

No collectors round here, all mine have been and are used, although I don't do a lot of flat work currently. Not that it matters to Clifton, as long as their planes are bought !

I'll say it again, there is no "magic" in grey ! It's a non-choice, least likely to offend by virtue of having no character at all, shame, still it's only paint and only my preference :)

Richard, I guess it's fortunate that your customers don't take the same pragmatic I don't care what it looks like it's only a tool and does the job approach when buying their furniture, otherwise they would settle for flat pack from ikea or argos rather than commission one of your own pieces, after all they'll all hold a cup of coffee or whatever so why worry about what they look like ! :)

Cheers, Paul

Yes Rod...it is sad indeed...and it should be in a museum but I think that the individual buyers will look after them too...we are just mere guardians of these things...although some appear to be rather obsessive thankfully!

Paul...somehow I didn't think you let them gather dust but I'm afraid that you want the last of the set....kinda does put you in that "c" category...all be it with a small "c"!!! :mrgreen:

I think collectors are fine upstanding people who need to find as many of the things they desire in the shortest possible time, particularly if they have the word "Gabriel" on them....or...."Iohn Green"...we shouldn't be too particular after all!

Iohn (Racing) Green...there ya go! 8)

Jimi

Sgian Dubh":3hzj2s1u said:
iNewbie":3hzj2s1u said:
paulm":3hzj2s1u said:
Still can't get my head around the idea that changing the colour is anything but a huge mistake and losing some of the heritage, there's no magic in grey!
It also means some people won't be buying new - who wants one in Green (a previous buy) and another in whatever....
What difference does a colour change make to performance if all else remains the same in terms of manufacturing standards, and the tool user's experience? I suppose it depends to some extent if you're perhaps a bit more interested in collecting than using. My Clifton no. 4 includes in the casting the identification mark 2000-1C, which I think indicates it was one of the original 100 no. 4s ever produced. I suppose that fairly rare characteristic might make the tool slightly more collectable than later models. But to be honest I'm really only interested in the fact the tool works well: that no. 4 and an old Spiers are my two 'go to' planes for smoothing tasks prior to any scraping, sanding and polishing.

If I were now looking to replace some of my other non-Clifton planes with a Clifton I can't see me scouring the second-hand market for the green coloured ones just because I've decided I'm not so keen on a different colour. If the Thomas Flinn versions retain all the engineering qualities of the original Clifton made models (or perhaps even improves them) and the price suits my budget, then green, grey, maroon, shocking pink (well, maybe not the last one) wouldn't be a deciding factor for me. Slainte.

Nobody said the colour change altered performance, you just added that for a "collectors" jab . Something I'm not - but don't let your ignorance get in the way of your bigoted view...

You like what you like and I'll like what I like. Your opinion is worth no less than mine. I'm not up for a Jellybean set. I like'em green. :mrgreen:

The color change seems a bit left footed. The line needs a color change much less than it needs promotion, generally, and probably more tools, specifically. Perhaps Flinn felt like changing colors was a punctuation mark to the end of old ownership and the beginning of the new. The move, standing by itself as it apprently does, just seems silly. If part of a rollout of new tools or something of that nature maybe it makes sense. As it stands, it just looks like somebody rang up the production floor and said 'quit paintin' 'em green' as if whoever has such authority simply doesn't like the color green.

CStanford":531umhd6 said:
... The line needs a color change much less than it needs promotion, generally, and probably more tools, specifically. Perhaps Flinn felt like changing colors was a punctuation mark to the end of old ownership and the beginning of the new...
Suspect that's exactly what it was, and damn all to do with "finish quality"

I have always liked the green Clifton's but as I have not yet seen them in graphite I can't really make much comment. The only people who have seen them in granite is Flinn's.
I know it would be easier for them not to change anything but they are and good for them. I believe they were not happy with the quality of finish of the green and the new colour is a more expensive proccess and better finish. There is more development going on apart from colour change and I have been impressed how quickly they have been looking into other areas. These things will not hit the shelfs over night but will be seen in time.

Latest posts

Back