What am I doing wrong?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This seems a bit puzzling.If the scraper is soft enough for a file to dress the edge,I would have expected a burnisher to create a useful burr.
The way I was taught to prepare a scraper was to file the edge by moving the file along and not across the surface and carefully holding it close to square.Then when the edge is clean and square,use the burnisher to flatten any burrs.At which point the edge(s) of the scraper were applied to the edge of the oilstone and the lid of the oilstone box pressed down to make sure everything was square.A few rubs back and forth to remove file marks and if you can use a single cut file there won't be very many of those.When all working edges have been cleaned up,another flatten with the burnisher and then apply the burnisher to the edges.Its never failed to work for me and I use the traditional gouge or chisel corner rather than anything sold as a burnisher.

worn thumbs":3odflo39 said:
This seems a bit puzzling.If the scraper is soft enough for a file to dress the edge,I would have expected a burnisher to create a useful burr.
The way I was taught to prepare a scraper was to file the edge by moving the file along and not across the surface and carefully holding it close to square.Then when the edge is clean and square,use the burnisher to flatten any burrs.At which point the edge(s) of the scraper were applied to the edge of the oilstone and the lid of the oilstone box pressed down to make sure everything was square.A few rubs back and forth to remove file marks and if you can use a single cut file there won't be very many of those.When all working edges have been cleaned up,another flatten with the burnisher and then apply the burnisher to the edges.Its never failed to work for me and I use the traditional gouge or chisel corner rather than anything sold as a burnisher.
This is exactly how I was taught. Good to hear somebody also using the lid of the oilstone box. Although lots of people on here won't know what they are! I was also advised to spit on the gouge used as the burnisher :D

Blackswanwood":vs7cfhdm said:
Droogs":vs7cfhdm said:
Stick in in the oven for a few hours at 200C and try again

Baked it, a few strokes with the burnisher and it’s now producing curly shavings!

Thanks everyone.

Please do follow up your experience with talking to Matthew at Workshop Heaven. He prides himself on providing top class tools with an after sales service to match.
Maybe you got a rogue example or others in the same batch are the same, in which case Matthew would be thankful to hear from you.
Cheers Andy

toolsntat":33da76by said:
Blackswanwood":33da76by said:
Droogs":33da76by said:
Stick in in the oven for a few hours at 200C and try again

Baked it, a few strokes with the burnisher and it’s now producing curly shavings!

Thanks everyone.

Please do follow up your experience with talking to Matthew at Workshop Heaven. He prides himself on providing top class tools with an after sales service to match.
Maybe you got a rogue example or others in the same batch are the same, in which case Matthew would be thankful to hear from you.
Cheers Andy

Will do. I have always found WSH to be great and I certainly have no grounds for complaint as it was a free gift.

Back