What a plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugbear, that is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen - never mind ugly planes :shock:

Like the top one Waka, but the wood is a little OTT in the plane for me

woodbloke":fvtaxcci said:
Waka's thread is what's called a PSUT (Preparatory Softening Up Thread) so that when the blow finally falls later on this summer :wink: we're not all going to want to go and play hop-scotch on the M25...beware of smokescreens!
I agree with His Lordship tho'...one of KH's low angle smoothers would be quite acceptable - Rob

Thats unfair Rob :wink:

Tony":dyiqxrww said:
Bugbear, that is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen - never mind ugly planes :shock:

(chuckle) If you read back, you'll find I made no comment on the plane, merely posted its picture...

:wink:

BugBear

bob_c":3cflboym said:
Whats the wood? Some kind of burr , it looks a bit like desert ironwood from the States.
Is it briar?
I don't know if briar comes in big sections, but then it's a while since I smoked! Or maybe it's just the high polish that gives the impression of briar.
Either way the workmanship is pretty smokey.

In case anyone queries, no, I'm not going to say 'workpersonship'!

:)
John

TheTiddles":g48umxgf said:
Lord Nibbo":g48umxgf said:
no98_2.jpg

Now that's hot! Seems that men with a taste for classic science fiction have similar leanings towards tools!

Aidan

If you think thats hot wait until you see his new one .......brilliant single thread adjuster design..... its been on his drawing board for a few years ...now the tweaking has finished the first begins....you should see some pictures on his site soon....soon is a few months away though

Ian

Ian Dalziel":1jdofidv said:
If you think thats hot wait until you see his new one .......brilliant single thread adjuster design..... its been on his drawing board for a few years ...now the tweaking has finished the first begins....you should see some pictures on his site soon....soon is a few months away though

Ian

Ian! Welcome back! How the hell are ya' ?

BugBear

cheers Paul ........its been a while ....I dont have the computer time i used too .........changing times .....havent made any tools for ages although i do have a cracking A7 ready to be assembled .....also been busy with my boat ...

Karls itching to get going on his latest ....just awaiting some custom tooling for the special effects :roll:

thanks for the welcome back

I

Benchwayze":10kq9iqi said:
bob_c":10kq9iqi said:
Whats the wood? Some kind of burr , it looks a bit like desert ironwood from the States.
Is it briar?
I don't know if briar comes in big sections, but then it's a while since I smoked! Or maybe it's just the high polish that gives the impression of briar.
Either way the workmanship is pretty smokey.

In case anyone queries, no, I'm not going to say 'workpersonship'!

:)
John

Just a brief note on the wood. Konrad has a supply of Dalbergia spp. planks, including Brazilian rosewood (with which this plane is filled), from logs felled decades ago. Occasionally, he will come across curly or burl sections, or sections with extraordinary color. When you buy a plane from Konrad, it is a custom made plane--he carries virtually no inventory. The customer specs everything. So it is a good idea to ask him what infill he has on hand, or might suggest, and having a conversation about it--as opposed to simply spec'ing a species. The wood is finished with multiple layers, more than ten, of French polish. When you're looking at the finish, it is very deep, but not as 'high' as it appears in flash photos.

Ian has brought extremely exciting news about Mr. Holtey's plans!

Wiley

Wiley Horne":ls51bbt8 said:
When you buy a plane from Konrad, it is a custom made plane--he carries virtually no inventory. The customer specs everything.

In that case his prices are remarkably low (*); I hope they're high enough that he can stay in business.

BugBear

(*) considering what he delivers, that is...

Thanks Wiley.

I was really making suggestion :oops:
It does look like briar though, so that's why I chipped in!

I suppose I could raid the bank, but I am afraid to use my new LN No. 40, at the moment, so looking at the care and attention that clearly goes into these planes, if I specified one, it would end up in a glass case!

Regards
John :)

Benchwayze":1fqo9exo said:
if I specified one, it would end up in a glass case!

Regards

that would be such a pity ...the tools are made to be used. why spec something then stick it in an aquarium........you dont get extras, fitted to your car then dont use them ....

got a nice picture in today from one of my customers here in scotland ....its a corner computer desk ...the cable entry point is dont to look like a pencil box ...walnut and maple ...bit of final scraping and waxed

ian
desklores.jpg

Hi Ian,
You are quite right of course and that's one of the reasons I wouldn't buy one of these high-end planes.

Not because I don't like them, but because at the price it would be more like an investment. So I wouldn't insult the craftsmanship; although I am sure there are tool collectors who buy these tools just for that. As I said, to use it would be like risking damage to a work of art. So I refrain from taking out a mortgage to get one!

Now, that's a nice table you made there Ian and the colours look decidedly mouth-watering. Nice contrasts and details. If I commissioned one of those it would have to curve the other way! To accommodate my 'corporation'! :)

And is that a 'gig-bag' I see hanging at the end of your bench? Looks small, unless it's an optical illusion. Could be for a mandolin?

Regards
John

John ...I didnt make the table ...it was a customer who sent in the picture

i'll ask about the violin/bag

cheers

Ian

Oh.. No worries Ian. I just took it that the pic and the table had been made in your workshop! It's still a nice piece of work.

And I am still going to make do with my L/N's! :D
Regards

Back