What a pain!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac445ab

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
This is the first time I have this kind of accident.
My vintage Stanley 9 1/2 sliced from my hand and fell to the floor.
Fortunately the plane body seems to have no damages.
The lever of cap is damaged as you can see in the pic.
What's the best thing to do?
Can I try to solder it or better look for a replacement?

qx75er.jpg

Ciao,
Giuliano
:D

They pop up on eBay very often and quite cheaply....especially if they are in bad condition.

I would buy one "for spares" and even with post to Italy it should be fairly cheap.

No point in trying to fix it really...it will need to be brazed.

Jim

I did exactly the same a few years ago. Ended up replacing with a veritas

It can still be used by screwing in the locating screw tighter but it does make setting a bit of a pig.

Keep an eye on ebay - they come up quite often

Dodge

Is the cam the only thing broken? I don't see any other damage in your photo.

You can buy "cam, rivet and washer" for $1.00 (US) from www.stanleytools.com (shipping is a further $5.95). The biggest problem is working out which one you need (buy several different ones at $1 each :!: ) as the photos are representative only (and quite often show something quite different) and the model numbers are the modern ones. There is a 9 1/2 in the USA made, block plane section.

Good luck.

Cheers, Vann.

So.....better to look for a replacement.:roll:
The Stanley 220 should have the same lever cap, so I could have more chance if I find a replacement from it as well as from a 9 1/2 of course.
Vann":310d4x84 said:
You can buy "cam, rivet and washer" for $1.00 (US) from www.stanleytools.com

This too could be a good solution and I'll take that cam (it is very cheaper) if I cannot find a vintage replacement.

As the cam have to do heavy work, the repair seems to me difficult.
However, before I throw it I will do the attempt.

Thank you

Ciao,
Giuliano :D

Giuliano

I have an old Stanley Block plane which I cannot get to work. (It won't stay together)
It looks to have the same adjusting mechanism.

I will check for you. If it's of any use I will just ask you to pay postage for the tool. If perchance you can get it to function, then you will be doubly-blessed old son.

Regards and Ciao

John :)

Benchwayze":9su2a4wv said:
Giuliano

I have an old Stanley Block plane which I cannot get to work. (It won't stay together)
It looks to have the same adjusting mechanism.

I will check for you. If it's of any use I will just ask you to pay postage for the tool. If perchance you can get it to function, then you will be doubly-blessed old son.

Regards and Ciao

John :)

Great, John! You are very very kind!
Let me know!
Many thanks
Giuliano :D

A simple repair is possible.
Both Record and Marples made similar versions of the same type of plane.
In some of these the cap iron is tensioned with a thumb screw, as an alternative to the slide lock that you have on your Stanley.

So an alternative solution would be to obtain a suitable thumb-screw, (about M6 or thereabouts), and to tap the retaining hole where the slide lock came from in the cap iron.

Argus":3d5qdpwn said:

A simple repair is possible.
Both Record and Marples made similar versions of the same type of plane.
In some of these the cap iron is tensioned with a thumb screw, as an alternative to the slide lock that you have on your Stanley.

So an alternative solution would be to obtain a suitable thumb-screw, (about M6 or thereabouts), and to tap the retaining hole where the slide lock came from in the cap iron.

Another good idea to keep in the drawer!
Thank you!

Ciao :D
Finally I welded the piece with an inverter electric welder (iron electrode, ca. 30A).
A friend of mine (Michele) welded the side of a plane in the same way.
http://woodworkingbyhand2.blogspot.com/ ... ialla.html

First I drilled some small holes in the piece held in the vice, then grinded an hollow for its properly function.
Is not the best from an esthetic point of view but the cam works fine.
I add some pics.

2j5z0ww.jpg

1z4anuw.jpg

9asgmg.jpg

2b8rgh.jpg

Thank you

Giuliano

Latest posts

Back