Wet and dry vacuum recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterfish

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had an old Earlex wet and dry vacuum for years that I mainly use in the workshop but also for cleaning drains, gulleys and downpipes.

After unblocking my mother-in-law's drains (again!) yesterday I managed to break the flange that joins the two halves of the unit (looks like the plastic has degraded) and I'm now looking for a suitable alternative.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As this will be used for both workshop and drainage based suckage I'm looking for something that is easy to clean (and disinfect!) after use and doesn't use very expensive filter consumables.

Misterfish

My m8 has the one from either aldi or lidl quite noisy but good suction. I have an old now Makita must be ten or eleven years old does not use bags but does have a large filter I have fired everything down it and never had a problem with it.

I have a draper one from toolstation. It's only about £55? And gets used daily at work for wet and dry. It's been brilliant so far!

I've got the Titan one from screwfix and although it's a bit loud it has plenty of suck and a power take off facility. A good bit of kit imho

I've both a Numatic twin motor jobbie for heavy stuff and a Sealey for day to day stuff. Both are excellent wet or dry. The only downside to the Sealey is replacement dry filters are around £15.

I've had a Nilfisk Aero for years, more than happy with it, has an auto switching power socket for use with power tools too.

memzey":1kqqd2dg said:
I've got the Titan one from screwfix and although it's a bit loud it has plenty of suck and a power take off facility. A good bit of kit imho
Another vote for the Titan.

Mine has a power socket in it that makes the vac turn on/off automatically when you turn your power tool on/off, Festool style!

£49 from the Screwfix.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

pcb1962":2h3dcl2b said:
I've had a Nilfisk Aero for years, more than happy with it, has an auto switching power socket for use with power tools too.

I've got one of those as well, bought it from Screwfix for £120. No complaints so far although I've not used it on liquids yet. They get better reviews than the newer model. You can get the same model from other vendors in their livery for over double the price if you particularly want it in Metabo green or Milwaukee red! :lol:

Thanks for all that - some useful things to look at.

Are all of these types of machine very noisy? The old Earlex almost screamed and I needed to wear ear defenders for anything more than a short sucking session.

Misterfish

misterfish":2y1aggr9 said:
Thanks for all that - some useful things to look at.

Are all of these types of machine very noisy? The old Earlex almost screamed and I needed to wear ear defenders for anything more than a short sucking session.

Misterfish

I find most vacs to be noisy. Even my old household vax cleaner connected via a separator was noisier than my TS200 table saw, for example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Nilfisk Aero doesn't seem that noisy to me. It also has a handy blow function as well by swapping the suction from from the inlet to the outlet. Filter bags for it are quite cheap at Screfix as well.

Another vote for the Nilfisk.
Also has good length of power cable and hose which makes life easier.

Back