Westonbirt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
Despite the overcast and drizzly weather, my sister-in-law, Fleur, and I had a very nice day out at Westonbirt today. Fleur spent most of the time visiting the many stalls but I spent most of the time in the Classic Hand Tools marquee :)

It was good to meet up again with Mike, Alex and David of Classic Hand Tools.

Philly was there with his lovely hand-made planes. In particular the latest ones with Karl Holtey blades look very nice indeed. Bought one of his Blackwood-handled screwdrivers - not that I needed one but it helps the Phillyfund :D

Mike Hudson was there with his range of super Clifton planes. Mike is now fitting even thicker blades - not that there was anything wrong with the old ones, but the new ones should be even better. They look very nice. Bought one of his Rosewood-handled bradawls.

Had a chat with John Lloyd and went to his demonstration of how to prepare cross-grain mouldings using rebate, shoulder and wooden moulding planes. An excellent demonstration by a Master in the subject - highly recommended

Clive was working hard on the Brimarc stand. Had a chat with Rob Cosman and tried out the latest cross-cut version of his dovetail saw - I do like his saws.

Michel Auriou was there with his superb range of rasps - it's always good to meet up with Michel and pick up a few tips.

It was nice also to meet up again with David Charlesworth and Nick Gibbs.

I didn't see many forum members there - only Steve (dunbarhamlin).

Overall another first-class show and well worth the visit.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Good to hear about the show Paul, a bit quiet about it on the forum this year although there are a few posts about it on the "spinny" board !

Philly's new smoothers do look great in the pic's, was looking forwards to handling them, but decided to keep on with the gardening chores at home instead this weekend before I go back to work next week :roll:

Have arranged for a gardener to come in regularly now to take care of some of the heavier work in an attempt to stop it being all consuming as it has of late, and perhaps I might get some shop time eventually as a result :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

paulm":1bvvyqzr said:
Have arranged for a gardener to come in regularly now to take care of some of the heavier work in an attempt to stop it being all consuming as it has of late, and perhaps I might get some shop time eventually as a result :lol:

Good idea - gardening is nice but it takes up so much time. When I win the lottery, I've promised myself a full-time gardener :lol:

Paul

Hello fellas,

I must make the effort to attend Westonbirt, it is the one show I have not made yet.

I have Cressing Temple in my diary for mid September and hope to see you there. I have been busy today working on my competition entry so have had an enjoyable day in the shed.

Look out for my WIP thread which I just must get round to posting.

Cheers, Tony.

I was going to go but got "grounded" by swimbo as there are projects long overdue for the house and she wasnt happy that i took on some paying work (all be it for my old dear) which might mean they take even longer to deliver.

I need to get my finger out and build a gate/fence, Cd rack , fruit bowl, and indoor dog gate so that i can get a pass out for the brummie bash next weekend

Escudo":2vcnriu7 said:
I have Cressing Temple in my diary for mid September and hope to see you there.

Yep looking forward to this one. just hope the weather holds out

woodbloke":31eysv15 said:
Where are the pics? - Rob

Sorry, no pics this time. That knackered old point and shoot camera I use is now even more knackered and when I turn it on the lens doesn't pop out :( Don't you just love this digital rubbish..........

Paul

Paul Chapman":20bt5j6h said:
woodbloke":20bt5j6h said:

Sorry, no pics this time. That knackered old point and shoot camera I use is now even more knackered and when I turn it on the lens doesn't pop out :( Don't you just love this digital rubbish..........

Paul
:lol: :lol: ...Paul, what you need is a nice Nikon D60 :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":1vhz6k69 said:
Paul Chapman":1vhz6k69 said:
woodbloke":1vhz6k69 said:

Paul
:lol: :lol: ...Paul, what you need is a nice Nikon D60 :lol: - Rob

Yes, and a band saw, and a planer thicknesser, and...........

I'll leave you to tell my wife..........

Paul

Paul Chapman":1xkroqmq said:

I was in the row behind you in the John Lloyd presentation. Also went to the Rob Cosman lecture.

PaulO":1dnzcpv5 said:
Paul Chapman":1dnzcpv5 said:

I was in the row behind you in the John Lloyd presentation.

I should have had my UKWS badge on but forgot to take it :oops: :oops:

You must have been the person I passed the sample of moulding to. If I'd known it was you I'd have had a chat.

Paul

I popped by, saw Rob Cosman effortlessly cut some dovetails (had to see it twice on account of my screaming 13 month old who wasn't keen on watching). Enthused by this I bought one of his DVDs and books, then popped around to Philly's stall; but, only bought a marking knife - his new smoothers are lovely.

As I was with the family, I thought it was an enjoyable day out; but, I'll probably look forward to the European woodworking show in Essex more.

DT

I was there too!

Managed to get down on the Sunday (stayed over night on Saturday and Sunday in Bristol - came back today).

Weather was a bit pap and I can confirm that the rest of the family now thing that woodworking is boring :shock: (at least watching the demo's, electric shock treatment for them me thinks!) - Although typically they came out with the most items! (I've threaten them with something from Axminster at some point soon :) ). In all fairness though, they did enjoy the day.

Must admit - The only people I saw that I actually knew of were David Charlesworth (sat riveted through his presentation on hand planing) and Nick Gibbs (I have his book on basic woodworking) and was completely dumb struck to actually say 'hi' :oops: (being a complete beginner in all of this!)

Other than that - I've yet to empty the camera and have some shots of the 'chainsaw carvings' that were being done over the week - Stunning they were too!

A lot of talented people - and a BIG learning curve ahead!

Wayne.

Delightful weekend in spite of the weather threatening to do its worst. Good to bump into people - must admit to being a little the worse for wear on the Sunday though. I rounded off Monday with an amble through the arboretum followed by luncheon at an hostelry in Kemble.

Went on Saturday, this years show had quite a bit more than last year, some marvellous solid wood furniture and gimmicky bits.
Nick's wife was busy, with the girls help, feeding the kids through the draw plane horses with their spokeshaves, it looked to me as though they loved it, of course anything to make a mess!!!
derek.

Wayne,

What I kept forgetting to say was that I can teach people to plane like that and sharpen and tune up planes on a 5 day short course!

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Back