Western Union - sending musical instrument.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they walk into a bank branch with cash, and pay to your account, it wont be bounced.

What , do a bac? In Canada that's a blood alcohol content test!
Not a bac - a BACS = Bankers Automated Clearing System

Acronyms don't always travel internationally :)

Though to be pedantic it ought to be BACS Payment

if you are going to send it, this is the proper way to do it, make a custom cardboard box:

Not a bac - a BACS = Bankers Automated Clearing System

Acronyms don't always travel internationally :)

Though to be pedantic it ought to be BACS Payment
Lol you got that right about travelling international. Here is another Bacs!

Attachments

• 772AEB74-DBED-4EC8-ADA6-B3C6ADF9428E.jpeg
    772AEB74-DBED-4EC8-ADA6-B3C6ADF9428E.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
If they walk into a bank branch with cash, and pay to your account, it wont be bounced.
iirc, Money Laundering Regs don't allow anyone other than the account holder\s to do that anymore. The account holder\s have to produce ID (debit cards or you'll be there a while)

It does seem curious. As the father of a one time music student and now professional freelancer, instruments are very personal and unusual kit is unlikely to be bought unseen. We have had day trips from East Anglia as far as Monmouth and Kelso* to inspect then buy. Someone who is really keen and a serious buyer should be able to find a way. I wonder - do you live reasonably near a station and could the buyer get a cheap day return, you go meet them or something like that? Sending seems risky for all kinds of reasons, damage in transit being just one.

Are they asking the sort of questions a knowledgeable user of such an instrument might ask? That might indicate 'not a scam'.

* although a set of 3 Timpani might have needed lots of stamps if sent by post :)

If something seems off, don't do it. If the buyer isn't willing to meet your conditions then that's their problem not yours. Something does smell a bit off with this situation. Musical instruments do seem to attract a special breed of conning scumbag.

I bought a 1931 Gibson tenor guitar for a similar sum remotely. It worked out fine.

It was probably the only time in my life I'd find one.

This is why rare musical instruments are different - substitutes might not exist.

I bought via Reverb, which gives some protection to both seller and buyer, including insurance (which costs, though). Courier service was fine as it was packed properly.

In this case the buyer is taking almost all the risk. Western Union is no risk for a seller if you take it in cash. The buyer risks that it's not shipped, or not packed properly, or damaged in transit (courier insurance usually excludes instruments). I'd happily sell on those terms.

If it helps, I met my seller on a video call, was shown the guitar and heard it played. The seller seemed trustworthy (and was). He didn't need to trust me because Reverb had my money before he shipped it.

Up to you, but this just sounds like someone who has found their lifetime instrument.

Nobody in the UK uses Western Union as a default payment method it's the scammers preferred method. I don't know how the scam works I'm sure you can find it on google. If they were genuine as someone else said Paypal friend payment or normal bank transfer. Funny how all these scammers are always the other end of the country. Make them dance to your tune not you dancing to theirs.
Just to say they may be getting desperate if genuine, as you declined bank transfer, why? it's non reversible I don't see the problem.

I thought that bank reversals were only possible until the close of buisiness?

I know, in the states, theres crazy lengths of times on cheques, but in the uk, again, i thought BACS was safe by the next day.

I guess if there is criminality involved, maybe the rules are different. It may be worth a recorded phone call to the bank, where they will, im sure, assure you that its all fine... again, make sure the call is recorded.

I sell loads on ebay over the last 10 years, but right now I'm selling a highly unusual musical instrument on Facebook for over 1k and its collection only as I can't risk it being damaged in transit.

Someone is desperate for it but so far I'm refusing to send and they're at the other end of the UK so collecting is difficult.

They suggested bank transfer and willing to accept liability if I send it, but that would still leave me vulnerable to bank reversal, so I'm saying no.

However, it's got to the point where they're now willing to pay Western Union and accept all liability for damage or loss.

I'm wary.

Any ideas please?
I was an overnight courier for 13+ years...I know that if 25 workers handle a package as it travels through their system; at least one of them will handle it roughly....Having said that, most well-packaged items do arrive undamaged....The trick is to use the "Belt&Braces" approach when deciding upon your packaging options....OVER-PROTECT in order to make damage difficult to achieve, even if one of the workers is having a bad day.
(Loads of Bubble-Wrap Covered in a Cardboard Sheath + Half a Roll of Parcel-Tape is normally Enough.)
Another idea is to Over-Protect AND Over-Insure ( Belt + Braces )
Insurance will cost around £5 per £1000 of cover.
So then if by some quirk of fate your £1000 package is damaged you will be handsomely compensated, which will make a !00% Refund to your buyer much easier...The Insurance company will require photographic proof of the damage to both the unopened package and also it's contents, so make sure that your buyer understands that the 100% refund is Entirely dependent upon Them providing these "Proofs of Damage" so that the seller/sender can claim the Insurance Pay-out.

I was an overnight courier for 13+ years...I know that if 25 workers handle a package as it travels through their system; at least one of them will handle it roughly....Having said that, most well-packaged items do arrive undamaged....The trick is to use the "Belt&Braces" approach when deciding upon your packaging options....OVER-PROTECT in order to make damage difficult to achieve, even if one of the workers is having a bad day.
(Loads of Bubble-Wrap Covered in a Cardboard Sheath + Half a Roll of Parcel-Tape is normally Enough.)
Another idea is to Over-Protect AND Over-Insure ( Belt + Braces )
Insurance will cost around £5 per £1000 of cover.
So then if by some quirk of fate your £1000 package is damaged you will be handsomely compensated, which will make a !00% Refund to your buyer much easier...The Insurance company will require photographic proof of the damage to both the unopened package and also it's contents, so make sure that your buyer understands that the 100% refund is Entirely dependent upon Them providing these "Proofs of Damage" so that the seller/sender can claim the Insurance Pay-out.

The couriers that i have to use seem to charge about 10% of the value in insurance.

Re: over insuring -

My experience is that a courier will only ever pay out the invoice value.

The couriers that i have to use seem to charge about 10% of the value in insurance.

Re: over insuring -

My experience is that a courier will only ever pay out the invoice value.
Isn't that what you would expect? Otherwise why not insure your £250,000 house for £1m and get a handsome profit when it burns down? You are wasting your money "over insuring"

I'd pack it really well, if necessary make a packing case
This is how i usually send bike frames. 9mm mdf with 15mm square pine glued along all the edge joints on the inside (to staple through into), then apply duct tape to all the outsides of the joins which makes for a very strong box.
If you've a local foam shop that makes it easier to pack with custom cut sections.

In the past to avoid any courier claiming its a packing crate at a higher rate/cost i covered the entire thing in thin cardboard. But I dont bother now, just make sure theres some sort of cut out for a handhold as mdf is kind of slippy

Latest posts

Back