Wengé brass and stainless steel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wizer":ttgvf9my said:
Pedder, how does this partnership work?

Wizer,

It's not formal. We are friends making saws in our spare time to refund our tool addiction. Most of our saws have been traded off against other tools.

Cheers
Pedder

no it's a complete pig to work. it's just a bunch of splinters stuck together ;)

jimi43":17vflsks said:
How does Wenge compare with Rosewood for workability?

I think I might get a chunk.....I love the look of that dark wood a LOT.

Jim

Hello, I´m new in this forum, my name is Klaus. Pedder and me are sawmaking friends.

I´ve made a couple of saw handles and turning tool handles out of Wenge so there is a little experience in working with that wood. The Wenge shows 2 faces. When working with it it´s really nasty concerning splinters break-outs and open grain. So it´s necessary to be careful. But if the barriers are finally conquered, the wood shows excellent characteristics. Nice to look and to touch and a really unique colour.

Klaus

Welcome Klaus. I found, when turning, that the only way I could get a good finish on Wenge was to use scrapers. I imagine the same is true of shaping it. Rasps and Sand paper as a posed to spokeshaves and planes, for example.

Klaus Kretschmar":2n0jhpcs said:
The Wenge shows 2 faces. When working with it it´s really nasty concerning splinters break-outs and open grain. So it´s necessary to be careful. But if the barriers are finally conquered, the wood shows excellent characteristics. Nice to look and to touch and a really unique colour.

Klaus

Am I allowed to say that reminds me of a couple of ladies I have known. :)

Welcome Klaus.

xy

wizer":1i2jnmuo said:
Welcome Klaus. I found, when turning, that the only way I could get a good finish on Wenge was to use scrapers. I imagine the same is true of shaping it. Rasps and Sand paper as a posed to spokeshaves and planes, for example.

Thank you too, wizer.

I turned a few turning tool handles out of wenge and used the normal turning tools. That worked ok. Because of the open grain it is a good idea, to use a pore filler. I used shellac which was wet sanded in with 2 or 3 grits. The sanding dust fills the pores quite good.

When shaping a saw handle, I don´t use spokeshaves or planes. But the rasping and filing has to be done carefully too. If the direction is only once not quite ok, the wood will immediately throw away parts you´d preferred it would have kept them :evil: .

I admit that it was not only one handle, I´ve made for the waste :cry: .

Klaus

xy mosian":3tpj1z4b said:
Klaus Kretschmar":3tpj1z4b said:
The Wenge shows 2 faces. When working with it it´s really nasty concerning splinters break-outs and open grain. So it´s necessary to be careful. But if the barriers are finally conquered, the wood shows excellent characteristics. Nice to look and to touch and a really unique colour.

Klaus

Am I allowed to say that reminds me of a couple of ladies I have known. :)

Welcome Klaus.

xy

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hi klaus

Welcome to the forum , nice to see such quality work still being done , GRP £135 thats a good price for such a quality tool that has been hand made, not mass produced . hmm, keep showing your work here please, i think you will soon be picking up quite a few orders , I most certainly will be placing an order later this yr, what sort of waiting time is it for one of you saws, what size saw are you mainly producing , how about a few pics of the other one's you make, do you also make rip & cross cut as well in different sizes . hc

head clansman":25p4fpng said:
keep showing your work here please, i think you will soon be picking up quite a few orders ,

:D

Welcome Klaus.

Cheers

Karl

Willkommen Klaus!

Thank you for your excellent comments on the working of Wenge....I see now that it is a wood that demands some interesting techniques!

I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Jim

head clansman":1t02wyug said:
what size saw are you mainly producing , how about a few pics of the other one's you make, do you also make rip & cross cut as well in different sizes . hc

Many thanks Head and Karl!

I´ve got a number of pictures of different saws Pedder and I have made and are willing to show them in this forum. However I´m not familiar yet with the forum software so I have to study at first how it works with pics.

This evening I want to deal with the software and am optimistic to be able to show some more pics.

Klaus

Hi Klaus...

Get the URL in jpg. or other format...

Cut and paste it in the post text...

Mark it and hit the Img button...this puts tags at either end.

And hey presto...job done

Jim

jimi43":35dv6utw said:
Hi Klaus...

Get the URL in jpg. or other format...

Cut and paste it in the post text...

Mark it and hit the Img button...this puts tags at either end.

And hey presto...job done

Jim

Thanks a lot Jim! For the Welcome and for the excellent short description. Now I´m sure that I will succeed in showing some more pics.

Klaus

very nice but you don't cut with a handle... could use some pics of the blade..

Back