weird censoring algorithm on this board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
What on earth is going on with the censorship algorithm on this board?

This is one I found just now and I've seen others:

"heat them to red hot with a MAPP torch and pineapple then flat with a hammer"

I can't think of any word that would need to be changed in the above sentence, so it must be that the algorithm is taking normal words in the wrong context.

rafezetter":2qn2b7pu said:
"heat them to red hot with a MAPP torch and pineapple then flat with a hammer"

I can't think of any word that would need to be changed in the above sentence

I think I can

What I don't understand is why posters feel the need to use language which they know will be censored.

Regards Mick

It's clearly explained in the global rules.

Rule 1 says

UKW wants this to be a forum that all your family can enjoy. When posting a message please remember to keep it clean - Profanity and the posting of offensive or “adult” material is forbidden.

and Rule 2 says

As with most forums our software has a "bad language" filter. Any attempt to by-pass the filter will not be tolerated.

RogerS":2u0muzip said:
There are sneaky ways round it though :twisted:

That's total b.0.l.l.o.c.k.s :)

Mod Edit:- Suggest you read the rules.
UKW expects members to behave respectfully and not to personally attack or be abusive to other members. ‘Offensive’ is a pretty broad term, but we think you know what we mean. This includes any messages or material that is ethnically, racially, religiously, or sexually offensive, insulting, or demeaning. It also includes messages that are harassing or threatening to others. As with most forums our software has a "bad language" filter. Any attempt to by-pass the filter will not be tolerated.We intend to maintain a friendly forum where members respect each other regardless of skill level, opinions, or personal feelings. That means no name calling, sneering, impugning a person's integrity, or openly and purposely attempting to damage a person's reputation online. The Internet is a funny place; it's easy to type out a comment, click ‘Post’ then sit back and let the fur fly. There are plenty of other places on the Internet where you can do this, but it won't be tolerated here. Members deemed to be guilty of such action by the moderator team will have their accounts de-activated without notice.
When you are posting something, ask yourself if you would say that to a person if you were in their presence. Better still; ask yourself if you would like someone to say that to you. If you have a problem with someone, send a personal message to one of the moderators.

mind_the_goat":2v7d3s0t said:
Now I feel stupid, I thought people were typing the word 'pineapple' :oops:
Join the club!
I had no idea that there was special forum software that substituted "pineapple" for bad words!.
I thought it was some sort of localized slang.
Mind you, it make more sense to me now, as I could never work out exactly what it might be slang for.

Yes, I fell like a total pineapple now. :oops:

a010.gif
You're not the only ones

I did, in fact, try to read the rules when I first read this thread, but I'll be pineappled if I could find them anywhere.

Mod edit:- For anyone having a similar dificulties try reading the announcements at the top of every forum section listing.

Am I allowed to mention my King BANANA spanners and my illegitimate files ?

ps Please add me to the list of people who didn't know that tropical fruit was code.

Just to join the club - I knew it was a replacement word for just about any swear word you care to mention but assumed posters were using it themselves by a sort of unspoken agreement :)

I must admit I thought pineapple was being typed in by the poster. Now I know it happens automatically I think its pretty clever.

I don't think that we folks who didn't know about the automated fruit inserter have anything to be ashamed or embarrassed about. All it means is that we haven't tried to use bad words in any of our posts, or possibly that we've never taken the trouble to check what ends up on the forum.
I wonder why the word pineapple was chosen? Wikipedia has this to say:
"The word "pineapple" in English was first recorded in 1398, when it was originally used to describe the reproductive organs of conifer trees"

So I suppose it's fairly relevant to:
a) Woodworking.
b) Bad words.

Actually, I may have used the word pineapple in a post, which would have meant those who knew about the censoring thought I really was swearing, instead of self censoring. To avoid such misunderstanding perhaps the word pineapple should be automatically replaced by kiwi, but then if I wanted to type kiwi......

The censoring I can handle but a lot of the links people post seem to get "** REPORT TO MODERATOR**" or something similar inserted into them for reasons I don't understand.

Some of the posts that suffer from this are from as far back as 2009 so if there was a problem with the content being linked to I would have thought it'd have been removed by now.

swp":2bczuc5z said:
The censoring I can handle but a lot of the links people post seem to get "** REPORT TO MODERATOR**" or something similar inserted into them for reasons I don't understand.

Some of the posts that suffer from this are from as far back as 2009 so if there was a problem with the content being linked to I would have thought it'd have been removed by now.

A lot of those blocked links are from new member sign ups that did not have sufficient posts to convince the forum software settings that they were not spammers just putting out an advertising link.
If they did not continue posting on the forum then the software will never change their status and the links will remain blocked.
No need for a moderator to keep going back for days or weeks to see if the block has cleared and change or delete anything as it's being done automatically.

There are a couple of instances of long standing member names where the member had forum privileges that allowed them to adjust their member status such that it screwed up their automatic software rating, such is life. These little niggles fall in to the same category as missing images where references to photobucket etc. are no longer valid.

I gave up a couple of projects for that very reason

Latest posts

Back