Wednesday's boot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
Couple of wooden planes, chamfer and a round.

planes.jpg

marplesround.jpg

chamferplane.jpg

chamferplaneiron.jpg

The chamfer has a Ward iron - no other maker markings
The round is Marples

Paid £1 each (I've cleaned them up).

You're a lucky man - and to add to your luck I will publicly offer to double your money and take them off your hands for £2 each! Now what do you say to that?! :lol:

I think the petite one with the rounded bottom may be a Mast and Spar Plane, used by shipwrights for finishing - erm - masts and spars (and oars), once they'd been roughed out by axe and adze.

Roger...they are absolutely gorgeous!!!

And a squid each is bleedin' highway robbery....and you know it! Good man!! :mrgreen: =D>

I like both but the Ward and Payne ironed chamfer is just glorious...I am green with envy mate!

Give ya £3 for it! :mrgreen: 8)

Jim

bugbear":332znztd said:
RogerP":332znztd said:
The chamfer has a Ward iron - no other maker markings
Looks like a rather splendid chisel blade to me.
BugBear

... could be I suppose. I've just given it a test run and it works very well :)

I see your chamferplane has an iron sole on the corebox. That's good :) . When you start a chamfer the plane rides on the sharp edge of the wood which means a lot of wear in the long run. My Moseley chamfer plane has a similar feature. What bedding angle does your have? Mine is about 52 degrees, very helpfull to avoid tearout.

Corneel":25u1jk13 said:
I see your chamferplane has an iron sole on the corebox. That's good :) . When you start a chamfer the plane rides on the sharp edge of the wood which means a lot of wear in the long run. My Moseley chamfer plane has a similar feature. What bedding angle does your have? Mine is about 52 degrees, very helpfull to avoid tearout.
Near as I can measure, 57 degrees.

Mine's 63 degrees give or take a gnat's wangler.....

DSC_1059.JPG

There is no metal plate on this box insert and after many many decades...very little wear.

It cuts fine....

DSC_1075.JPG

Nice little planes.

I have to admit...that does look very much like the iron is made from a chisel...rather canny that!

Jim

jimi43":3stp487n said:
Nice little planes.

I have to admit...that does look very much like the iron is made from a chisel...rather canny that!

Jim

Which might suggest that it's user made - hence no makers mark?

Mind you, if I'd made it. it'd have my name stamped all over it! :wink:

Tony Spear":31agtyxt said:
jimi43":31agtyxt said:
Nice little planes.
Jim
Which might suggest that it's user made - hence no makers mark?
Mind you, if I'd made it. it'd have my name stamped all over it! :wink:

Indeed, plus mine is not the usual beech it looks more like mahogany. The quality and detail seem far beyond the normal user made item which was normally made well enough to do the job but not much attention paid to prettiness :)

The frustration is that we'll never know.

Latest posts

Back