Web space

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adzm124

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm wondering about doing a website, does anyone know of a free way to upload to? I currently don't have any freespace to put anything on, but have the software to create already.
Thanks in advance
Adam

Most ISP's provide 100mb or similar, enough for a personal web space as long as you don't want to host too many high definition pictures. Are you sure yours doesn't provide the same?

I host my website on http://www.webs.com The service is free. You only pay extra if you want to upgrade, like I have done with my website. But generally the free version is able to take loads of pictures, I only upgraded to have more pages & remove ads.

Thanks very much, I'll have a look at those. My isp is france orange - they give nothing away free - nothing! They want 13€ per month for a page (1), there's no such thing as a free lunch!

adzm124":kdcdomfp said:
Thanks very much, I'll have a look at those. My isp is france orange - they give nothing away free - nothing! They want 13€ per month for a page (1), there's no such thing as a free lunch!

My sympathies, if that's on top of your access charges.
Web space/Domain names hosting services whatever, are never as cheap as you would like but can usually be found at reasonable prices, do you have reasonable download/upload limits on your ISP account?

ISP's often provide 'some' hosting as part of your connection package. But that hosting is often specified for personal websites only and not for commercial websites - you'd need to check your contract as to what is allowed.
If it's a commercial website then hosting it isn't exactly expensive compared to other forms of advertising.
As with researching everything else you need to make a list of what you need to get out of your hosting. Things like regular backups, uptime guarantees, disaster recovery plans, extra bandwidth allowances etc etc etc are often extra to the hosting package. Also give some thought as to the level of support you need from your host - if you need to be able to ring up and get someone knowledgeable on the end of a phone then they won't be the cheapest hosts around.

adzm124":33ee2kwi said:
Hello folks, I'm wondering about doing a website, does anyone know of a free way to upload to? I currently don't have any freespace to put anything on, but have the software to create already.
Thanks in advance
Adam

Is this a website for personal use or for your business? If the latter then you don't get something for nowt. Slow performance, slow to load, downtime etc. I'd far rather spend well under £100 and pay for a proper hosting service.

mr kw, I'll have a look at that too. Nice radiator covers. My isp was giving us 56k dial-up until fairly recently, then hit us with 6meg, quite a difference, now I can actually open photos, you've no idea what that's like, after taking about 3 minute plus to open anything. My fault for living up a tree.
Thanks and merry xmas to all.
Adam

Latest posts

Back