WEB HOSTING

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houtslager

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps, finally got my web pages made, need to upload to a server, found one that is reasonable and is a "green " company.
https://www.34sp.com/order-hosting

BUT , 1 BIG Q - there's always is one heh ! oops:

what do these offer me ?

Anonymous FTP ; SSL support ; SMTP:

I would like to offer potentional customers to purchase online so on this final point of a web site I need help ASAP.

Ta much from an overworked slave :) :

1) Using the Internets File Transfer Protocol (FTP), anonymous FTP is a method for giving users access to files so that they dont need to identify themselves to the server. Using an FTP program or the FTP command interface, the user enters "anonymous" as a user ID. Usually, the password is defaulted or furnished by the FTP server. Anonymous FTP is a common way to get access to a server in order to view or download files that are publicly available.

2)SSl:- basically secure transactions
Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology allows web browsers and web servers to communicate over a secure connection. In this secure connection, the data that is being sent is encrypted before being sent and then is decrypted upon receipt and before processing. Both the browser and the server encrypt all traffic before sending any data. SSL addresses the following important security considerations.

Authentication: During your initial attempt to communicate with a web server over a secure connection, that server will present your web browser with a set of credentials in the form of a server certificate. The purpose of the certificate is to verify that the site is who and what it claims to be. In some cases, the server may request a certificate that the client is who and what it claims to be (which is known as client authentication).
Confidentiality: When data is being passed between the client and the server on a network, third parties can view and intercept this data. SSL responses are encrypted so that the data cannot be deciphered by the third party and the data remains confidential.
Integrity: When data is being passed between the client and the server on a network, third parties can view and intercept this data. SSL helps guarantee that the data will not be modified in transit by that third party.
To install and configure SSL support on your stand-alone web server, you need the following components. SSL support is already provided if you are using the Application Server. If you are using a different web server, consult the documentation for your product.

A server certificate keystore (see Understanding Digital Certificates).
An HTTPS connector (see Using SSL).
To verify that SSL support is enabled, see Verifying SSL Support.

3)smtp is a type of mail system which allows you to collect e-mail via a website

Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. The most common protocol used for transferring e-mail across the Internet.

Hope this all makes some kind of sense to you! :?

mark

:? you got to be kidding :oops:

I am humble butcher of wood, it has taken me 8 months using Serif to make the few pages I have :oops: and prior ro uploading and commisioning the site I am asked if I want these included.

I still have no idea, please give answers in a KISS format please.

Anonymous FTP support - just a way for you or others to upload or download files from either your website or the Hosting site.

SSL Support - What you need to have a Shoping Cart on your site for folk to buy your goodies. Very important.

SMTP - Mail support for messages to and from your website.

To be honest, most if not all decent hosting firms have these and more. It's just the blurb they put out so you think you're getting special treatment. I hope you're NOT paying extra for these??

houtslager, sorry mate didn't mean to baffle you with science! (some of it baffled me too! :lol: )

Before you settle on your hosting, just pop into the Clook forum http://www.clook.info/forum/

(you may have to register but it's totally painless). Thats who I host with. They are fabulous, as are their clients who will willingly talk you thru ANY problems or queeries you may have - even if you don't eventually go with them.

Hope this helps
mark

Would someone care to "volenteer" to proof check my web site files prior to uploading, as I think I have a problem with links. :oops: :twisted:

many thanks

a highly frustrated woodbutcher in a sunny Germany.

Re purchasing online you will need software to manage this especially if you are taking credit card payments

I use shop factory who do 3 or 4 packages depending on how many products you want to have

You could also use uk2.net as a host they have free ecommerce software as part of there package which may work for you easy to upload with images etc

Back