Weatherboard Finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

We are in the process of having the front outside wall of our house replaced.

Rather than continue with the oldy worldy oak frame we have decided to go "New England" and have painted weatherboard as the final finish.

We have commissioned a local supplier to plane up a profile for us, and it will be pressure treated before delivery. (it was cheaper that the local builder merchants for planed featheredge!)

What is the best way to finish the boarding?

The builder is suggesting that we just paint the outer side (plus edges) before fitting, but leave the inside as pressure treated timber with no primer/undercoat etc.

Ideally I only want to paint it every 5 years or so and I don't want to be replacing the boarding for at least 30 years (well some elses problem anyway) so any comments on if the back of the weatherboard should be painted and the finish/paint systems would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Bedec barn paint is what I used on my workshop, very happy with it. I didn't paint the back personnelly. If you ring Bedec they will tell you if painting the back is beneficial or not

Mark

Hi Mark

Just wanted to say thanks for the help - in the process of ordering the paint now from Bedec.

We decided that we don't need to paint the back, but as we are using a light colour need to use stainblock to stop the green preservative treatment coming through.

Thanks again

Mark

Back