WE project: Steps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
It's been a while I produced anything. Here are some pictures of a WE project: Steps for my daughter to reach the sink in the bathroom.

steps1-1.jpg

steps1-3.jpg

steps1-2.jpg

Material(s): Steps are French Oak and sides are plywood
Finish: Danish Oil on steps and Crown paint on plywood
Comments: Created to allow for children to access the sinks. Rubber soles are fitted to step's feet to avoid it from slipping on bathroom tiles.

CYC,
Nice idea.

Perhaps you should make another one for the kitchen, my 3 love to help :lol: with the washing up.

Andy

That looks really good.

Safety's not normally my bag but it looks to me like they could be really treacherous with a bit of splashed water on.

Cheers

Tim

CYC

Looks really good.
LOML has been on at me for ages to make her a set for the kitchen.

tim":2c578jrk said:
That looks really good.

Safety's not normally my bag but it looks to me like they could be really treacherous with a bit of splashed water on.

Cheers

Tim

I would echo what Tim says, although my thoughts were that a lit'l'un in only socks might find that slippery.

Excellent timing for your post - I have one to make this weekend for my grand-daughter (for exactly the same reason :wink: )
Nice work.

Andrew

Good point on the safety side . If you nip down to your local boat shop / chandlery you can buy some non slip crystals that you mix in to the varnish . Maybe put a coat on with them then another couple of coats to take away the sharpness of them for cleaning .
I think i paid about £8 for 250g but this was years ago , i still have them if you want me to send you them . But you may get customs delivering them and asking what the packet of the grainy substance is :lol:
P.S Im not a safety freak i just added this because it was mentioned above a few times . :)

nice thing, but wonder whether a few routed grooves might be a sensible
solution whilst actually looking quite nice on the top.

More important have you put any anti -slip material on the bottom on the
sides?? that may be more important than the top since on a wet surface the painted bottom might slip.

paul

Thanks all for the good words.

On the subject of safety, well of course it can be treacherous and very slippy. I would not let a child on it with just socks; only bare feet or with shoes. Really I will not let my child on it unattended until she is a little older.
The important thing though is that you fit rubber soles on the steps cause the piece itself would move back as the child leans against the sink.

Everthing in the house is a hazard! It's a parent's challenge to see them :wink:

CYC":2uutzc33 said:
Thanks all for the good words.

On the subject of safety, well of course it can be treacherous and very slippy. I would not let a child on it with just socks; only bare feet or with shoes. Really I will not let my child on it unattended until she is a little older.
The important thing though is that you fit rubber soles on the steps cause the piece itself would move back as the child leans against the sink.

Everthing in the house is a hazard! It's a parent's challenge to see them :wink:

Yep - sorry - wasn't trying to tell you how to be a good parent; just could see me standing on something like that and going a**e over ....

Cheers

Tim

Hi CYC
Nice steps, I might also have to use that for when I finish the kitchen ( wife is verticaly challenged ), she want a floor to sealing larder cupboard.
Ps you should made one when my kids were small #-o
Very good job :)

you are right it is a challenge, and we think you have done very well,
it is just that somehow kids have the ability to make the best laid
plans or items go awry. they almost seem to have the ability to do
something that we had not thought possible.

i guess everybody just feels protective of little people, and have
discovered that we always forget how clever they are.

good project though.

paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back