We made a scrub plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I finished to refine a scrub plane that my friend Vittorio made for me.
Since we are quite proud of the result, we want to share it with you so that I can be an inspiration to someone else.

vittoscrub43.jpg

Please, take a look also to the work in progress photo report here:
http://www.arcadilegno.it/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12594

Our best regards from Italy.

Thank you for showing us. It is very good =D> =D> , particularly as it has been made by hand without complex cutting machinery. Looking at the process of making, it looks as if the "iron" might not be fully supported. Was there any infill in the "frog"? Does it work well?

I must say it's painted the best colour for a plane :D !

regards

Ross

Andrea":7369s69x said:
Today I finished to refine a scrub plane that my friend Vittorio made for me.
Since we are quite proud of the result, we want to share it with you so that I can be an inspiration to someone else.

vittoscrub43.jpg

Please, take a look also to the work in progress photo report here:
http://www.arcadilegno.it/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12594

Our best regards from Italy.

Wow - I love it. I love the hand work, the lack of machinery, the refusal to start over just because something goes wrong. Most of all, I love the fact that you did it at all!

I would recommend checking out my page on flattening - I sincerely believe that rubbing a plane on sandpaper on a flat surface is not the quickest or most accurate way to flatten a sole.

Original page:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090529100 ... atten.html
Theory page:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090414044 ... heory.html
Practical how-to:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090414044 ... ctice.html

I also note your use of a Record #161 to sharpen a scrub plane blade. I've never found the #161 to work very well, since the ball invariably sticks and gets faceted (like a flatted formula one tyre). I use a Marples #7418, which also allows the free movement side-to-side you're looking for, due to its crowned roller.

marplesguideinfo.JPG

marples7418.JPG

BugBear

RossJarvis":2f8bn7mr said:
Looking at the process of making, it looks as if the "iron" might not be fully supported.

As long as the lower 1/2" or so above the bevel's arris is supported, it doesn't matter, especially if the blade is thick enough to have some stability of its own.

BugBear

Brilliant work. There's nothing like the satisfaction of solving all those practical problems and getting through to a very smart end product. I especially like the dovetailed toe on the handle and the neatly spaced hand filing on the blade-holding screw.

Richard T":126vc3la said:
It looks like that piece of angle riveted in is the support Ross:

Very good job Andrea. =D>

That's what I was assuming. Having read about possible issues where thinner irons aren't "fully supported"
I was just wondering if the user found the plane worked well with this type of support only. I think Bugbear has now pointed out that the important element is support near the cutting edge. I don't want to start another thread war :cry:

Very nice result, and as has already been mentioned, good choice of colour !

My Italian is not up to reading the text, but looking at the pictures, do I see signs of the delicate kiss of the arc welder ? I had always assumed that all this dovetailing and riveting was because welding would distort the plane too much - if not, could a fully welded construction work ? I assume not, as noone seems to try it.

Superb job! Indeed, it's almost better than it needs to be for a scrub plane.

That Herring iron will be a good performer - they have a very good reputation.

(Sheffield Tony - I reckon there's no reason at all why an all-welded plane wouldn't work, provided the fabrication was annealed or stress relieved after welding. That would release the locked-in residual stresses from differential thermal cooling during the welding process, which would tend to cause an unannealed fabrication to behave like a raw casting and be prone to distortions during finishing and in service. You'd also have to do a fair bit of cleaning up and finishing after fabrication and annealing. The finished job would be as solid as a rock, though.)

Ross wrote: " Having read about possible issues where thinner irons aren't "fully supported"
I was just wondering if the user found the plane worked well with this type of support only. I think Bugbear has now pointed out that the important element is support near the cutting edge. I don't want to start another thread war :cry:
"

Adjustable frogs, when moved forwards to tighten the mouth, leave the iron dangling unsupported by the sole. This sole and frog are solid McSolid. :)

The iron is supported under the pressure of the lever cap at the business end and where the screw screws down. A very neat idea. The frog rivets in the sole support both.

CC - indeed, a very lucky scrub plane.

Tony - I think Ray Iles used to make a welded infill.

You are right Ray Iles does one.

I have a welded scraper plane that has had no heat treatment and is flat as day I flattened it.

Pete

Richard T":12qi20lr said:
This sole and frog are solid McSolid. :)

That's nicely put, Richard. Your challenge for the weekend is to use the same sentence in an ordinary conversation, not with plane obsessives! ;-)

After eating the Dover sole and frogs legs I did a McSolid

:shock:

Pete

RossJarvis":kb2muaun said:
particularly as it has been made by hand without complex cutting machinery.

You are right. We used only the common machinery and manuals tools: drill press, angualr grinders, hammers, saws, files and a lot of sandpaper.

Looking at the process of making, it looks as if the "iron" might not be fully supported. Was there any infill in the "frog"? Does it work well?

You are right again. The blade is not fully supported, but it is thick and it work well the same.

I must say it's painted the best colour for a plane :D !

I was torn between the blue and fuchsia. ;-)

bugbear":2q9l3gn4 said:
Wow - I love it. I love the hand work, the lack of machinery, the refusal to start over just because something goes wrong. Most of all, I love the fact that you did it at all![/code]

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your words.

I would recommend checking out my page on flattening - I sincerely believe that rubbing a plane on sandpaper on a flat surface is not the quickest or most accurate way to flatten a sole.

Thank you for the links. I'm very intrigued by scraping metals, but I have never experienced it.
However I think that a scrub plane does not need a great accuracy in surface flattness.

Code:
I also note your use of a Record #161 to sharpen a scrub plane blade. I've never found the #161 to work very well, since the ball invariably sticks and gets faceted (like a flatted formula one tyre). I use a Marples #7418, which also allows the free movement side-to-side you're looking for, due to its crowned roller.

Thank you again for the pictures.
I ruined the steel ball of the #161 in an attempt to sharpen the blade, and so I ended up sharpening it freehand. I later installed a plastic ball in plase of the steel one, but I have not tested it yet.

Now I have ovalized (olivized) the wheel of an Eclipse clone but the same as before, I have not tested it yet.
Before unpacking the wheel, Do you think the camber is okay or I should I accentuate it?

eclipsescrub1.jpg

eclipsescrub2.jpg

eclipsescrub3.jpg

eclipsescrub4.jpg

Back