we had one but the leg fell off... glue advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
I've not been on here for a while, having a lot of 'bover' finding time to get into the workshop.... but I am still here! I 'done' this piece

I stuck the leg on with gorilla glue which I was told was super strong, but one little knock and it fell off!

OKAY!! I know the stand is just not right at all, but it was the piece of purple heart I destroyed confirming that we don't have the equipment or capability to get wood square enough for reverse turning I just managed to save a little bit of it for the stand and lid, it is a collection of 'rescued' mistakes and, as a 'hollow form' holds almost three tiny pills .. so is an elaborate pill box!

Almost said 'Out of this world' but I see it's a UTO not a UFO.

Did you turn a socket and tenon for the body to stand(leg) joint to provide some mechanical strength?

Did you seal the wood or apply any sort of finish before applying the glue?

the stand was an 'afterthought' it was a failed turning headed for the bin and just stuck on to a failed bowl to see how it would look .. so no thought as far a tenon went, it was just sanded flat one both surfices, and wet (as it said on the box) then left to dry. it is a mish mash, but learned a fair bit from it one way and another, so not a waste ... and it looks good on my window ledge.

Nice one Mrs S... doesn't float my boat but...

I love to see the coventional boundaries pushed... more please :wink:

Being the eternal sceptic,I always like to do the same as Chas said,and have some mechanical strength to the joint as well.
If it was too late for a spigot,then a dowel or two would help enormously.

Andrew

P.S. - it's definitely too nice for the bin :D

The thing with all foaming PU glues is that the foam has no mechanical strength. You need to aim for a good fit of the pieces, just as with any other glue, and then the glue will not foam and will indeed make a very strong bond.

Hi Mrs S.

I can only echo what has already been said about spigots. If you always consider that glue is secondary in a joint and make sure the joint itself is tight it will always stay together.

Like the shape! Unusual! Shades of Jan Sanders designs.

Back