Wax finnishing bad results

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spasm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering if I can have advice the more the better, I turn platters etc. on the lathe I then usually use a wax finish this is where my problem starts
I always have a lot of trouble getting the wax off the wood there is always circular wax lines left.

I have been using clothes and paper towels to buff the platters etc. up until last night, my latest platter I used Chestnut hard wax oil, so easy to put on
but again when taking off after leaving to stand for 4 hours I got these circular wax rings on the platter.

I got a little angry at this to say the least :) so after looking in the garage and found some wire wool not sure what grade and attacked the platter then buffed
up with a cloth with exhalent results.

So my question is what should I be using to remove the wax surface off the platter I’ve been using cloths and paper towels, last night I used a cloth and
wire wool then buffed with a cloth again and got my best finish.

What other abrasives could I be using when trying to get a finish on waxed platters?

yours

Rob

For starters, are you sealing the wood before applying any wax?

One thing that immediately comes to mind is that you are applying far too much wax and oil in the case of the oiled one, that's assuming there are no sanding rings left in the surface, sometimes sanding defects don't show until finish applied.

Wax on a sealed surface needs to be minimal, if soft wax then you can leave a few minutes for solvent to evaporate then buff with lathe rotating but with a circular motion to cloth or paper, what you are seeing are Build up streaks from keeping the polishing cloth stationary whilst the wax dries out and hardens.

With oil, apply, leave for a few minutes to soak in, remove an surplus (wet patches) no matter how many coats you apply never leave wet patches to cure in place.

If you try buffing an oiled surface before it has been left to cure (harden), may be hours or days dependant on temp. etc. then there is a chance you are dragging it back up into build streaks where the heat generated from fiction is curing it in circumferential lines. Once again keep your buffing cloth rotating in circular motion to avoid this.

Alternate is to move up to a buffing wheel system which will eliminate this build up risk, but ideally you need to master getting as good a result as possible by hand in order to understand what's happening.

Hi Spasm,

The HWoil is good stuff but really you need to wipe it on and then wipe it off again almost straight away. Leaving it wet for 4 hours is a receipe for a sticky disaster!!! I find about 5 coats gives a really nice finish. If you find it too sticky or thick you can thin it a little with white spirit.

The only other thing that springs to mind is that it is a gloss finish so any imperfections in the finish of the wood will show up, make sure the rings you are getting are not sanding rings by either power sanding or using one of those friction snader thingy's.

HTH

Richard

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice, got some more wire wool today fine grade and this really has made a difference, this platter is for my mother who is 70 on the 23rd of this month the
prezy is a 16 inch platter with a selection of cheese and biscuits.

spasm

I had the same problem with waxes when I started, I asked a club member his advice, his answer was to "chase the rings off the piece" basically to wipe the wax on in circular motion to get as even a layer as possible first, then with the lathe running, start at the centre then wipe to the outside edge whilst rotating your wad of tissue etc, this way the tissue collects excess wax and you push the wax in the same direction all the time hopefully levelling it out, takes a few attempts to work out speed of movement in relation to speed of the piece, but you'll soon get the hang of it. once its flat and ring free you can then buff it in any direction but with light pressure or you'll remelt the wax again. Hope this is of some help, regards Darren

Back