Water cooled spindle bit me lol

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John51

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd already done a rough and ready test of the spindle in my kitchen using 'anywire'.

Today I wired up the 4 core screened cable, all earthed and as before, had the cooling water running to waste into the sink.

Spindle felt nice and cold with not much flow so I wondered what the temp of the waste water was like. As soon as my finger was wet I got a HUGE static shock. Wow that woke me up. :)

No the water wasn't warm.

I will be using a recirculating system, haven't decided on a pump yet. The Chinese VFD has a real cheap keyboard, every bit as bad as the Science of Cambridge MK14 'computer' I bought from Uncle Clive over 30 years ago.

I'll be fitting a speed control pot to minimise keyboard usage.

The spindle itself runs very quiet.

Don't forget the antifreeze if there is any chance at all of the spindle dropping below zero degrees.
I had quite a job fixing a spindle with a cracked water jacket when a mate let his freeze up. It was nearly a write off.

Good point Bob. I think I'll be ok as the workshop is a bedroom but a bottle of antifreeze isn't going to break the bank.

Latest posts

Back