Water based gloss

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it's technically not woodworking (well I'm painting wooden doors!) but has anyone any experience of applying water based gloss over old oil based gloss?

I've heard some horror stories and as I have 8 doors plus associated trim and some cladding to do I don't want to waste money on something that might not work.

Is undercoat a necessity or can you get 'one coat' versions? Would the undercoat need to be water based as well?

I really need the quick drying due to dog and children and creeping around for hours while it dries is a nightmare. The other benefit is the lack of fumes and not stinking the house out for days!

Thanks

Stuart

Water based gloss works quite well, the secret is in the preparation. Wash/sand with sugar-soap, green scouring pad and something like 240 wet and dry paper all at the same time so that everywhere is dulled down a bit. Rinse thoroughly. Then you can paint acrylic undercoat and gloss. Not as shiney or brush marks free as oil based.

Back