Wasps !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodMangler

Established Member
Reaction score
The wasp season is upon us - I've removed a few proto-nests already, but they're building something between two planks just above my shed door, which I can't get at. Is there anything I can spray up there to dissuade the little sods, but which won't harm anything else ?

I live on the edge of a country park - lots of trees and wildlife etc - so wasps are an annual problem. Rentokil do an aerosol foam spray Wasp Nest Killer which I have found to be very successful in dealing with these pests. It's not too expensive and obtainable from the likes of B&Q and garden centres. Just spray it into the nest entrance or where you see them going in, at dusk.

Good luck.

Wasps kill and eat just about every species of known insect pest. If the nest isn't causing you a big problem, just leave it until the autumn. That's when the wasps fly the nest, and they don't return. You can dispose of the nest safely then, and make the area less attractive to them. AFAIK most Councils will turn out to remove wasp nests, if you really need to move it. Other than that it's 'yellow pages', or similar. A nest removal cost me £45.00 a couple of years ago.

HTH

John

Benchwayze":4djuht0q said:
Wasps kill and eat just about every species of known insect pest. If the nest isn't causing you a big problem, just leave it until the autumn.
That's my usual approach but, unfortunately, this one is just above the door to my shed.

WoodMangler":1au53ves said:
Benchwayze":1au53ves said:
Wasps kill and eat just about every species of known insect pest. If the nest isn't causing you a big problem, just leave it until the autumn.
That's my usual approach but, unfortunately, this one is just above the door to my shed.

Aye.. Needs must!

Best stuff is in powder form. Just "puff" powder into the entrance area and they will carry it into the nest on their feet. Be dead within a few days.

Random Orbital Bob":c0q0iplb said:
And do it now because the Queens are only just getting going. Once they start really laying eggs the population will grow exponentially. (The film Aliens springs to mind)
I got some spray-on stuff today, is the powder better ?

I think the powder is probably a little better but I've used the spray before and its fine while the colony is small as is the case at this time of year. You should be fine with it. You know the trick don't you? The idea is that you spray the entrance towards the end of the day when the workers are returning for the night. They land on the spray and in doing so get coated in it. They inadvertently take it deep into the colony and it does its poisonous work. Takes a few days to work so if little effect is apparent, spray on consecutive evenings for a few days. Doubt you'll need to do that much though.

Ant and Crawling Insect Powder does the Job. Cheap as Chips from Wilco. Just got rid of one the size of football.

Best to dust it late in the evening when the wasps are quieter.

Vic

Benchwayze":12iqofhk said:
Wasps kill and eat just about every species of known insect pest.

That is true but unfortunately, wasps can also do a lot of damage to a bee colony. They can catch a bee in flight, kill it and take it back to feed to their larva who in turn secrete a sugar substance which the adult wasp eats - this is part of their life cycle. They can also rob honey from hives which can stress and weaken a bee colony very quickly if there are enough wasps. I know this from experience when one of my three hives was targeted by wasps.

This is true also. But I don't eat honey, so it wasn't at the forefront of my mind.

Incidentally, has any work been done into the possible over-breeding of bees, and its likely effect on the general 'constitution' of the bee population?

Latest posts

Back