Wasp nests

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I think I have one, I've got a steady stream of wasps disappearing under the eaves of the house. Will have a (careful) closer look later.

Will councils get rid of these free or do I need to employ a rentokil type company / independent pest controller?

Mark

hi bear
we had a wasps nest last year
if you phone the council they will send their enviromental svcs people out and deal with it and return to double check.
it cost us £30 but they will come back as many times as is necessary which in our case was only twice - once to spray and once to double check. :)
cheers paul

The Bear":35l7jatu said:
Hi

I think I have one, I've got a steady stream of wasps disappearing under the eaves of the house. Will have a (careful) closer look later.

Will councils get rid of these free or do I need to employ a rentokil type company / independent pest controller?

Mark

Remember reading somewhere that wasps only use the nest for one season or thereabouts.

We had the beginnings of a wasp nest behind some wooden cladding on the front of our house.

I doused their entrance liberally with a powder wasp killer and repeated this every day for about a week.

After this there were no more wasps buzzing around the "entrance" and, when I pulled the cladding off, there was an incomplete nest and lots of dead wasps.

Not sure if this would work on an established nest!!

Peter T":12xrdedo said:
Not sure if this would work on an established nest!!

It usually does and there is not generally a need to keep repeating the application with the powder killers I have used in the past (from local garden centre). You can get net hat covers from camping places to keep the pippers from stinging your head.

Hi

It seems a bit early for wsps to be active. I have noticed a few queen wasps looking for nest holes recently (bumble bee queens also). It takes a while after that for the nest to get active.

Chris

We had to pay our council £50 a few years ago which I thought was bloody outrageous. Ok, so the guy is doing a 'dangerous job'. But it took him less than 5mins!

Had a starter in me trailer under the cover last week :roll:

Noticed a solitary big un hanging around and then going in....

Next time the hot rsed buuger turned up I gave it a headache and then found the partbuilt nest about the size of a golfball :shock:

Shame really as the construction is so delicate and time consuming :cry:

Andy

As Mr T says, it seems rather early for that. Yes, Wasps only use the nest for the one year, the Queen starts a new one afresh each season.
Any proprietary Wasp killer should do the job, no need for the Council.
But if they are not near a window or doorway for example why not leave them be?

Roy.

Mark

Powder works very well around the entrance area as they carry it into the nest on their legs.

best done late in the day i think and when it's cold if possible as they aren't quite so active.

I've noticed a lot of activity in the last week since the weather has improved (and I'm in the frozen north). Saw a hornet yesterday which is VERY early. It was about 2" long with a HUGE sting and it scared the dung out of me :shock:

I get wasp nests regularly in the hedges and I hate the pippers - would be ok af they weren't so aggressive.

Bob

I've seen a few Very Large bees knocking about. Would these be the queens then looking for a new home?

Wasps in the garden are OK as long as their flight-line doesn't go near the parts of your garden that you frequent a lot.

They are most aggressive when defending the nest obviously, so if you can avoid the nest just leave them. They eat green fly and flies and if you are a gardener they are an ally... So I am told.

They desert the nest in the autumn when you can just pick up the nest, and have a good gander at one of nature's marvels. You can bin it then.

In the house of course you need to have it removed I agree.

The venom a wasp injects in defence of the nest is much stronger than when a solitary wasp stings you. A tree-surgeon I employed disturbed a nest in my garden last August! I still have signs of where the beggars stung me!

Outside, they prefer to make the nest at the base of old tree stump and in compost heaps, so have a very careful look around!

Bester luck!

John

:lol:

Hello all, we had a wasp nest under our living room floor a few years ago, we used to get up in the morning to clouds of wasps in the room and hall not fun....I rang the council who advised the cheapest was for us to buy a can of wasp killer powder and to liberally puff the powder at the entrance to their lair. The wasps themselves would then carry to poison dust into the nest themselves!!!! anyway a few days later our house was wasp free, and they never came back. The nice man from the council saved us a £50 fee.
GT

I was shovelling compost out of the bin and put my shovel straight through the nest. I check more carefully now.
Ain't hindsight wonderful? :lol:

Roy.

Back