Was desperate for a roller stand....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exigetastic

Established Member
Reaction score
Have lots of 16ft 4x2s I'm cutting for my decking project, and not exactly the easiest things to shift single handedly.

What I really needed was some sort of rollerstand.

B+Q didn't have any (apart from a mitre saw stand which I suppose would do for 8ft lengths), and nowhere else was open.

So I went in my shed for a tinker and this is what I came up with :)

2344327945_385154f06f.jpg

2345170794_9bbbbdc382.jpg

And a close up of the "rollers", which are basically just bits of pushfit pipe cut into small pieces threaded onto a bit of M8 threaded rod.

2345158128_00d5c9c488.jpg

It might not look pretty, but was free and seems to work fine. Going to use it in anger today!

Si

Well done - nice idea the pipe on some stud! Worth sending in as a tip to a mag perhaps?
If you rout a slot in each side it'd be height adjustable too ...
Cheers
Gidon

That is good improvisation, using only what you had available at the time.

Might be worth sending it in to Good Woodworking, yes. Even if they don't pick it as the Tip of the Month (free Veritas plane), if it still makes the back page, you'll get a £25 Veritas voucher from Brimarc (just like I did, last week!). :wink:

:D

Well used it all day today, and does exactly what it says on the tin :) In fact I have enough bits of scrap left over I'm tempted to make a couple more!

Not sure it 's good enough to make it into a magazine, but thanks for the compliments! 8)

Si

exigetastic

If you cut the uprights down to nearer the threaded bar holes, you won't be restricted in the width of board you can cut. :lol:

Chris.

mrbingley":e94idzcu said:
exigetastic

If you cut the uprights down to nearer the threaded bar holes, you won't be restricted in the width of board you can cut. :lol:

Chris.

I did consider that...

2 reasons i didn't

a) It acts as a guide for the boards so they don't drop off (I made it 6" so it fits most of the long stuff I generally cut (think deck boards / feather edged fencing / 4x2s etc.)

b) The holes would be too close to the edge and just split the wood, we are talking a copule of mm

BTW
I do see rutlands are doing 4 proper rollers atm for £30. Tempted!

Si

Latest posts

Back