• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale WARNING - Suspicious PM messages

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
If anybody has received a PM similar to this, especially in the wanted board:

"You must have missed the post of louis09 about 3/8" bowl gouge* for sale some days ago... I asked him about it and he said it's still available with him."

*or various other tools

Please report it ASAP

Thanks.

Last edited:
If anybody has received a PM similar to this, especially in the wanted board:

"You must have missed the post of louis09 about 3/8" bowl gouge* for sale some days ago... I asked him about it and he said it's still available with him."

*or various other tools

Please report it ASAP

Thanks.
More to the point - how is the message being injected into the system if it's not by a member. Is there some sort of security issue occurring?

It's a pertinent question.
There are new members signing up all the time. If the forum software thinks they are suspicious, they get referred to the moderators to check and approve. If they look legitimate when we check then everyone gets the benefit of the doubt to start with.
Offending accounts are blacklisted as soon as we become aware of them. The account and any content are summarily deleted to protect the community.
By reporting messages such as the example Noel saved and posted above, you help us weed out the bad apples promptly and protect other members from them.
Thanks in advance !

I was the person who reported this originally - I assume it was some sort of "scam" perhaps?
Indeed. Happening a lot in various forums across the net, usually in the for wanted boards.
Say Sneggy or pgrbff posts a wanted ad for a plane. A few days later a PM arrives from a signed up member with the message I posted in the first thread- fellow member johnny2shoes apparently has just the plane you want and he posted about it in the FS board but you must’ve not seen it, here’s his email address, why not contact him directly. Of course no such member as johnny2shoes but you may not have checked as you were so excited about your new plane.
You email Mr Shoes, get a bogus/stock image of your lovely new tool, see that your new best buddy only wants 95 quid including postage and you send the money off.
No plane, no happy ending.

Back