Wanted: Piece of Cherry Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, I've been asked to make a special item for an old friend. For the project I need a piece of Cherry Wood, no other will do. Does anyone have a decent board I can have for a fair price? I need approx 1000 x 500 x 100 mm, although there is flexibility in that size.

This is my first project since I started suffering from a relapse of some health issues, and is important for me and my health, so if you can help out I would be really grateful.

Thanks

Thats a big piece of wood hard to track down and expensive. Does it need to be solid or are you planning to cut it up?

If I'm really careful with measuring and cutting could go to:

1 piece 500 x 200 x 50mm
2 pieces 150 x 50 x 50mm

S&L Hardwoods have Cherry in thick boards (I'm assuming you want American Cherry rather than English?),

http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/products/s ... sawn-board

If they won't post it then try Surrey Timbers who, besides being extremely helpful, definitely will post,

http://www.surreytimbers.co.uk

You don't give any details of your project or of your skill level, so at the risk of teaching granny to suck eggs you should be cautious in so far as sawn boards, or even boards that are "planed all round", will still not be square. So you'll have to do some plane work yourself to get them squared up.

Good luck

Penny
I don't think you will get cherry 100mm thick anywhere. 50mm, yes, but it is not cheap. And don't forget it will not finish at 50mm, it will be more like 45mm when planed up.

I made a dresser from AC many years ago now. It was the biggest project I'd ever tackled. When I bought the timber, AC was 1K per cubic metre. I was working at the time and it took me about a year to make that piece. At the end I was one board short. One board. when I went shopping I found that AC was now 2K per cubic metre. And that was a long time ago. Goodness knows what it costs now.

Good luck with your quest.

Hi Penny,
You could try Lanarkshire Hardwoods, they're not far from you. Just NE of Carstairs of the A70 to Balerno.
Directions From Livingston

Follow A71 west to West Calder. Take left turn at lights , B7008 for Harburn and Carnwath. When you reach the T-junction with the A70 turn right. Cross border into South Lanarkshire. Pass by the right turn to ‘Auchengray & Tarbrax’ on the top of the hill and carry on 5 miles. Take the next right for Auchengray, with woodland on your left and open fields on your right. Follow for 2.4 miles & take the 2nd road on the left at the red sign for ‘Lanarkshire Hardwoods’.

http://www.thewoodplace.com/

Thanks for the comments guys.

What I have been asked to make is a 'Pace Stick Rest'. A Pace Stick is the long wooden stick that Sergeant Majors carry around with them in the Army. My friend wants the rest for her husband who has just been promoted to Company Sergeant Major (CSM) and wants it to him for his Pace Stick when he is at his desk.

Scots Guards Drill Sergeant.jpg

His Corps (as all do) has a traditional wood that their Pace Sticks are made of. In this case it is Cherry Wood.

MT-2590, PACE STICK - SCREW LOCK.jpg

So she wants the rest made of the same wood. The rest is a simple base with chamfered edges, two uprights, shaped in such a way as to hold the Pace Stick horizontal above the base. Most designs have a pair of cap badges and a large brass plaque at the front for a name plate to be engraved on. Many also have a brass pen holder.

Attachments

• Scots Guards Drill Sergeant.jpg
    Scots Guards Drill Sergeant.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 178
  • MT-2590, PACE STICK - SCREW LOCK.jpg
    MT-2590, PACE STICK - SCREW LOCK.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 360_28dff2b64f1967d4d489956b20da1ec5.jpg
    360_28dff2b64f1967d4d489956b20da1ec5.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 164
If there's no tradition that it has to be solid, that could be nicely made like a "hopper", greatly easing your timber sourcing issues.

http://jansson.us/jcompound.html

The stick rest is (constructionally) an upside down one-of-these (from the page above)

planterboxes.jpg

BugBear

Penny
Can I suggest you consider altering your plans?
Cherry is a lovely red timber. But red on red = invisibility.
If I were designing that rest, and I can see its attraction, I would consider a mild contrasting timber, such as maple, and use ebony or African Blackwood for details. Cherry and maple are a classic combo, and it will mean that the Stick is the focus on the desk rather than the Rest.
I wouldn't present a cherry piece on a cherry stand.
S

I don't understand the original question. What is the requirement for 100 mm thick material to make a pace stick, which can't be any greater than about 25 or 30 mm at its thickest going by the picture of the soldier wearing a bearskin? And the rest can be made easily out of 1" thick rough sawn material. So a bit of 2" rough sawn stuff for the stick will be more than adequate, and 1" rough sawn will be sufficient thickness for the stand.

Both 1" and 2" thick material is common or garden stuff to buy from almost any half respectable timber merchant. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":1ydwd1sd said:
I don't understand the original question. What is the requirement for 100 mm thick material to make a pace stick, which can't be any greater than about 25 or 30 mm at its thickest going by the picture of the soldier wearing a bearskin?

Richard, as I understand it the objective is to make a stand for the stick, not the stick itself. Although I'm still a bit puzzled because the stand in the photo doesn't look 50mm thick, and even if it were surely there's no problem making it 30mm thick, or even 20mm thick but with feet to raise it a bit higher?

custard":e47acoeg said:
Richard, as I understand it the objective is to make a stand for the stick, not the stick itself. Although I'm still a bit puzzled because the stand in the photo doesn't look 50mm thick, and even if it were surely there's no problem making it 30mm thick, or even 20mm thick but with feet to raise it a bit higher?
I agree custard, the desire to source 100 mm thick stuff seems incongruous, because if the intention is to essentially copy the stand shown, then 1" rough sawn would suffice, although it could be made chunkier using 2" rough sawn to start with. My earlier message mentioning the assumed stick dimensions were superfluous I suppose, but I included the comment because it seemed to me all the parts could be made from either 1" or 2" thick material.

Perhaps it's the case the proposed design for the stand is significantly different to the illustrated stand, where a thick piece of wood might be called for? If that's the case, perhaps laminating up thinner sections might be a solution because good quality 100 mm thick material is difficult to locate. Slainte.

Hi Penny, This is my first post here but I have been kicking about for a while. There is a timber place in Inver by Dunkeld that might have Cherry. It may be a trek for you but you could phone them. I once enquired about cherry and beech and they were confident about getting both no bother. ( I have absolutely no connection to them whatsoever so couldn't comment on quality or price or anything). I also don't know if they'd have those dimensions mind but wherever you get it I'd laminate it as suggested.

Ps, I think I recognise you from another forum!

Sorry Penny, I can't yet reply to your PM yet for some reason. It could indeed be a rumour and I shared the same call sign as here but elected to leave that Forum as it got a bit 'repetitive' :roll: ( yours began with an L). I was I must confess, a different service to you though. Good luck with your cherry hunt and I hope your health picks up.

heliotrobe

I have over 8 ft3 of rare English Cherry felled in my local Woods in West Berkshire that i am selling on behalf of our community woodland group. The boards all currently 8 ft length and between 9"~16" wide - depending on board width they are selling between £15 and £28 each (priced at £25 cubic foot.) The only downside is that all the 2" thick has been sold, the boards left are 1.1" thick. Could you consider gluing two boards together to achieve the require thickness?
If you are interested and purchased one full board i would be happy to cut it roughly to length for courier collection.

Mike

Back