wanted; old rusty tools please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike-reid

Established Member
Reaction score
hi gang

Im skint. i root through allsorts on a sunday morning at boot fairs and ocasionaly have a find, a chisel here, a plane now and again over the years. but these i have refurbed, i have been forced to sell again to put food on the table when times have been real hard.

I was wondering if anyone here has some spares or old finds they want to pass on. i have a little cash on the side waiting for items i know i could use like hand planes, moulding planes (saves buying a router bits) old school tenon/ rip/ cross cut/ dove tail saws and old steels bevel edge chisels, sash cramps etc.

For a swap i have an axminster lathe, will post pics up when i get my laptop replaced. i would happily swap it for some quality tools i can use to get on making some items to get my hobby into a small business.

Im in barnsley if anyone is interested or could help me out. many thanks

mike

Mike,

I might be able to assist with a No. 4 Metal Plane and a No. 5.

You'll need to fettle them, but I won't offer you anything that I wouldn't tackle myself.

Any help?

John :D

pm me your address mike and i'll see what i can find - we are clearing down our old workshops for the move next week so there is bound to be summat (for a start their is defitely a block plane and probably some chisels) - and no worry about money or swaps I remember what its like to be potless

had a good scratch around my local booties this weekend and found absolutly nothing. got there for 630 and didnt even find a rusty ald chisel.
look like people are watching cash in the attic alot these days. anyone else have similar experience this weekend?

I can't help here I'm afeard, but I'd just commend the offers from the other guys...it's what this place is all about. Nicely done Pete and John :wink: - Rob

I have a modern stanley no 7 and a couple of other bits and pieces, the 7 needs a lot of work the sole has a large curve...

Can you come to nottingham on a weekend and raid my shed?

dannykaye":1tkihbyb said:
I have a modern stanley no 7 and a couple of other bits and pieces, the 7 needs a lot of work the sole has a large curve...

Is that the one that went "ping" ?

BugBear

thats the one, I started flattening it but I am not dedecated enough since I got a 1900 ish stanley in good nick for £25 :)))

when we moved I was unpacking tools to a temporary workshop in the garage and I heard a very distinct ping. couldnt work out what it was but when I came to use the 7 the sole had taken on a distinct 1+mm curve. I had heard of this but never seen it.

just to update, as i mentioned on the other thread ive found a #5 (record)you can have, and a #4 (stanley) both in need of a degree of work after my minion let them get rusty.

There is also a block plane (thoiugh i cant find the blade at the moment), and a very substandard #3 (the type made out of pressed steel rather than cast iron)

there are also some random chisels - again in need of a good sharpen and derust, and a mallet which needs a new wedge

on top of that there is a performance power cms (the non sliding variety) - who says we dont buy the good brands ;) and a bosch powered planer (the cutter of which is curently jammed, but which you could probably unjam), there is also a bosch sabre saw which works, but which has failed its pat test (I think its just the plug) and also needs a new blade

and finally there are a collection of random spanners and allen keys (I know these arent actually woodwork tools)

Plus there may be other stuff as we still havent finished our clear down

The only thing that concerns me is the likely cost of getting all this **** up to you - I am heading to lancaster towards the end of the month so is there any chance of you crossing the penines to meet up rather than me spending the national debt of brazil on parcel farce ? (i'll pm you dates)

moose, that is FANTASTIC!!!!

if you have read my other post, you will know just how priceless to me these tools are going to be! you are a true gent!! thank you from me and my family, it will be such a massive help. i will meet you where ever, when ever, just let me know a couple of days before mate

you ROCK!!!!!!!

Danny, i dont know just how to thankyou for such generosity!

i am quite gobsmacked by the tools you have given me. if you ever need any help with anything, please give me a call and i will be there.

from me and my family, thankyou!!!!!

pete, aka bigsoftmoose, thankyou for the box of bits. been playing and fettling away today! It has really made my birthday! thank you!!
how was the strawberry gin?

Hi Gaz

the guys on here, dannykaye and big soft moose, have so far given me chisels, planes, a couple of saws which are away getting sharpened, a square, moritce gauges and many other random consumable bits like sanding belts and huge drill bits. I know dannykaye has some more bits for me but i will need a van to collect them.

the only thing i would like are some clamps, a spirit level and maybe a mitre saw (manual or electric) and a poket jig or biscuit jointer but i am not being picky or cheeky.

mick cheese is sending me a router in the post so i will be rumaging around in car boot fairs for router bits next and hounding local building site gaffers for timber for building some benches and cupboards to fully convert my loft out.

the tools i have been given so far are all BRILLIANT and so are the fellas who have helped me out!

Latest posts

Back