Wanted - longworth

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Any Ireland dwellers here know where i can get a longworth chuck ? - or know anyone that would fashion one up for me for a fee ?

I would do it but have no router for the slots, and dont fancy trying to jigsaw the slots.

OR,

is ther a simpler way ?

Thanks

Loz.

I've tried making a Longworth, maybe a bit speedily, but It didn't work - locked up part way through the 'expansion'.

Next thing I'll try is some button jaws to go on the Axminster masterchuck.

Chris.

The limitation I find with the Longworth chuck is the inability to get any real pressure on the circumference of the bowl, it is difficult to apply rotational pressure and lock the studs, there are various 'in use' work arounds that help but non that really solve the problem, for me anyway.

It does do the job of centralizing the bowl well but it invariably needs the security of the tailstock brought up to it to ensure the bowl does not move off the back plate.

Although still on the use list I'm afraid I ended up going the cole jaw route for most jobs, fitted with some Extension adaptors, which get used with the standard buttons and various longer bolts and clamps fashioned out of old kitchen 'plastic' chopping boards.

Back