Waney Edged Elm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prologus

Reaction score
I am working a board of elm, waney edged on both long edges. It is approx 42" * 10" * 3/4". It is to be used as a golf trophy, with a wooden shafted putter mounted on it and a number of small metal shields with winners names mounted following the sweep of the edge. What would you recommend that I use for a finish? I want to make the most of the natural tones and the grain.

Also, should I apply the same finish to the back?

There are a couple of small splits at one of the ends. I feel that there should be left and not filled, but I am open to comments.

And finally, is there anything in particular I should use or be aware of regarding the bark on the waney edges?

Given that it won't get a lot of wear, I think blonde shellac will be hard to beat. Its complete clarity will bring out the full beauty of the wood.

The bark is liable to fall off. I think turners use superglue to stabilise it but your best bet is to ask the question on a turning forum.

Jim

Latest posts

Back