Walnut or Oak? and a bit of a story.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I was taken shopping by swmbo, :cry: I'm sure you all know the feeling. :wink: Well we set off to look for a new four seater sofa and maybe a two seater sofa. We ended up buying a walnut table with six new chairs, :? I didn't mind too much as it's superbly made in solid walnut and is beautifully designed and finnished, but oh! the price :oops:

So now I'm in a dilema, I'm about to embark on building a long low HiFi cabinet, I started on the design which is a very heavy chunky look. My plans were to build it using solid oak. So now after buying a walnut table and chairs Oak won't match so I come to the questions

1. Do I build the hifi unit in solid walnut?
2. Walnut veneered ply with solid walnut edging?
3. Walnut veneered ply and veneered edging?

Does it have to match? How about using oak and a dark walnut stain? Then you'd have the variation in grain as a contrast. Or do it in maple or beech and leave it blonde. Maybe just do some walnut accents to tie it to the table and chairs.

Dave R":15nfriho said:
Does it have to match? How about using oak and a dark walnut stain? Then you'd have the variation in grain as a contrast. Or do it in maple or beech and leave it blonde. Maybe just do some walnut accents to tie it to the table and chairs.

No it will have to match, it's such a lovely table anything else won't do. Yes I could stain oak but I'm sure I wont get the finnish of the walnut :(

You will only get walnut ply veneered on one side upto 12mm thick off the shelf, I would assume you need 18-19mm for the carcase, in which case Veneered MDF will be the way to go.

Jason

I've just found this link to the table & chairs we have bought

So this is what I've got to match it with

http://www.wguk.com/milan_dine/Milandining.html

and here is a pic of what I'm want to copy

basix2.jpg

The sideboard on the left is pretty much what I want but longer (might have to make it in two pieces) and lower.

i think that if you want long, and relatively wide panels then you should really think about veneered boards to ensure stability.

at the ends it might look nicer if it was frame and panel construction,
although the panels could be flush and with a witness line to highlight
if you want flat sides.

i note a lot of modern store bought tables have visible tenons on the top,
that often stand up over the surface nice kind of touch which is likely to
divert the eye from the use of veneered panels.

paul :wink:

engineer one":25rxaij3 said:
surely cost and stability????

paul :wink:

My most recent purchases of hard woods that I'm positive with the price was £26 cu ft for beech and £40+ for teak, has anyone bought any walnut recently? and what did you pay? Who do you think would be the cheapest supplier for delivered to Cornwall? I do have Atkins & Cripps not too far away.

I just bought 40cu ft still about £45/cu, but I think it might be quite a bit more if a small volume.

Nibbo
A quick question-is the walnut Italian or American black??
Most ABW I've bought in the last few years come with a healthy amount of sap wood. You need to consider that when ordering-an extra 30% will be needed if you want a sap free project.
I don't see why you can't make it in solid if the timber is dry enough-I made a coffee table from solid 2 inch stock in a similar style and it has been rock solid.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Indeed Philly, I was assuming American Black. I've never had any stability problems with it (and I do tend to use it every chance I get :twisted:)

For a piece to match an expensive set of chairs and table, using solid wood seems the best option to me...?

You can always see the difference!

Philly":168nnnm3 said:
Nibbo
A quick question-is the walnut Italian or American black??
Most ABW I've bought in the last few years come with a healthy amount of sap wood. You need to consider that when ordering-an extra 30% will be needed if you want a sap free project.
I don't see why you can't make it in solid if the timber is dry enough-I made a coffee table from solid 2 inch stock in a similar style and it has been rock solid.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

I haven't got a clue which it might be, here's a couple of close up pics.
08.jpg

04.jpg

What does the panel think?

No clues on the web site, it just says wood imported from all parts of the world, so no help there. Here is a link again to the web site showing the Milan range that I want to match.

Back