Walnut Marbles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, Marbled Walnut...

No. 9, 16" blade length, 10 ppi cross cut. 4 1/2" usable depth.

pk_0003a.jpg

pk_0004a.jpg

Sorry for a second post in just a couple days. I love this wood and just felt I needed to share. This wood is from a 40" long 12/4 gunstock blank I bought a few years ago for a gloatable price.

Originally was going to be put to use for door panel veneers, but never got around to using it.

Well, thanks for the indulgence. Back to your regularly scheduled programing...

Take care, Mike

Another good one Mike, as a matter of interest how do you determine the handle fit for clients before you put all the work in?

Do you have a selection of patterns and sizes for them to try for a Comfort Zone?

well from a uk perspective, that means that another gun did not
fall into the hands of a loony, whilst we get to gloat

yet again mike, fine work, and beautiful handle

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

paul :wink:

Thank you all for the kind words.

John, nope that one is for a right-handed person. We have made a whole set of saws out of this wood recently for a lefty, though.

CHJ, sometimes the person we are making them for will give a dimension across the hand at the base of the fingers. But for the most part we make them according to the original patterns. Obviously the two extremes really need attention. Both the people with smaller hands and those with large hands.

Paul, while one could--and I do--say one less gun, it really is one less custom modification. But then again, I probably have tree huggers lurking in wait because I supported the killing of a tree for any purpose <g>.

Again--thanks everyone.

Take care, Mike

Don't want to get political but owning a gun does not make a person a loony Paul.

John (Shotgun owner)

Mike - do you do the custom stocks then? Any piccies? I love those walnut burl stocks...

Shady, no I don't.

Saws are it for the time being. We do have other tools we will be adding if and when we can find the time.

Take care, Mike

having made the contentious comment, i would only say that i specifically
aimed it america, and mike i hope knew i was being slightly ironical :?

anyway sorry to have been slightly political, will mind mine speech
later.
all the best
paul :wink:

MikeW":2wqmb2u6 said:
Ok, Marbled Walnut...
No. 9, 16" blade length, 10 ppi cross cut. 4 1/2" usable depth.

Hey, I know that saw! I really look forward to using it. Just last evening I was doing a little sawing and longing for it. Even my g/f seen the pictures and said it was beautiful, and she is no saw connoisseur.

MikeW":1pri8sn5 said:
Shady, no I don't.

Saws are it for the time being. We do have other tools we will be adding if and when we can find the time.

Take care, Mike

Hmmmm,
I think Mike has been spending too much time with Rob Lee. Care to say more (please)? :D

Nice gloat there Paul! It looks so nice I dare you to use it! :wink:

Paul Kierstead":3pjho3i9 said:
Even my g/f seen the pictures and said it was beautiful, and she is no saw connoisseur.
Ah, hold onto that Girl-and start leaving the Lie-Nielsen catalogue around the house :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Frank D.":a64w5ae7 said:
MikeW":a64w5ae7 said:

Take care, Mike
Hmmmm,
I think Mike has been spending too much time with Rob Lee. Care to say more (please)? :D
Hi Frank,

Not at this time. If I do and plans change or timing slips I'll feel bad, people will be let down, etc.

But, as things firm up there will be more info.
*Edit to add info <g>*
As there has been a little discussion or mention elsewhere, I will say I have made two experimental Japanese rips--cut well--using slightly harder steel than the western saws, but am still able to file them.

Take care, Mike

Philly":285lct5h said:
Paul Kierstead":285lct5h said:
Even my g/f seen the pictures and said it was beautiful, and she is no saw connoisseur.
Ah, hold onto that Girl-and start leaving the Lie-Nielsen catalogue around the house :lol:

Well, she don't mind my L-N fetish too much, but I held one of these beautiful jointers in my hands over the weekend (and attended at talk by Konrad, and chatted with him for a bit) and she is now kinda worried. Especially since I am a sucker for locally (sort of) produced artistically craftsmanship where I can chat with the maker.

MikeW":1xrl1d85 said:
As there has been a little discussion or mention elsewhere, I will say I have made two experimental Japanese rips--cut well--using slightly harder steel than the western saws, but am still able to file them.

Take care, Mike

Mike, I don't have time to follow all the forums, but could you tell us a little more about the Japanese rip? What style is it (yokobiki, kataha?). Now that would certainly be tempting for me. I had planned on using my western style saws more (I've just gotten around to filing them), and even expanding my collection, but it seems that the more I use my Japanese saws the more I like them. Anyway, I'd certainly like to hear a little more about your efforts, if you care to divulge any info. No problem if you don't though, whatever you feel comfortable with. I'm patient.

Hi Frank,

Ryoba-style rip teeth rip, roughly 345 mm [13.5"] x a depth of about 120 mm [4 3/4"]. They are currently unhandled and am thinking through just how non-traditional I wish to make them.

Gotta run, Mike

Paul Kierstead":209ok9jm said:
Well, now, I have now received zee saw, and it is quite quite sweet. Awesome work, Mike. Works like a dream too.

Paul, are you getting tempted by Konrad's beauties? Man, your budget is in better shape than mine... :)

DC

Back