Walnut Hall Table Part 2 - WIP (not the comp) **2.4Mb Pics**

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humanfish

Established Member
Reaction score
I have finally made some tangible progress on my table to warrant an update on my last post,

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8192

I finished off cutting the top double mitres and proceeded to a test fit of all the pieces, it wasn't perfect but i could live with.

HallTableProjectss002.jpg

HallTableProjectss003.jpg

The next step was to fix these pieces to table sides, I did this using the biscuit jointer and no 10 biscuits. I had previously made an order for a selection of mixed biscuits and never thought to check them, when i was getting them out i noticed they were all size 10's. :?

HallTableProjects008.jpg

HallTableProjectss005.jpg

HallTableProjects012.jpg

HallTableProjects011.jpg

When these had dried i had to set about curving the table corners. I used a basic template lined up with the edge of the leg itself and a knife mark at the top level.

HallTableProjects015.jpg

I used the coping saw to get the bulk of the corner waste off. I always find it hardwork with the coping saw, sawing frantically and making little in the way of progress.It was thicker stock than i am used to though.

HallTableProjects016.jpg

HallTableProjects017.jpg

I did some initial shaping on the corners with an old stanley spokeshave. I t was a pipper to set finely as there was no adjustment method, just a case of getting it as fine as you can, as evenly as you can across the opening and tightening without shifting it all. I feel another veritas purchase brewing. :D

Aftera combination of the spokeshave and an old rasp i got it down to just off the line. I would come back to this to improve the finish with sanding and the like.

I now had to think about the top. I had my veneer ready and some 9mm mdf as my base, all i had to do was veneer it all.

HallTableProjects013.jpg

HallTableProjects018.jpg

And so the mad five minute panic began

HallTableProjects019.jpg

HallTableProjects022.jpg

After i took the photo above i went out into the garden and brought back some of the heavier pieces of concrete i could find just to make sure it would press properly. Good job the parents were away.

This was the panel after sizing, clean up and a light sand. I was relieved it came out ok.

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

Whilst the veneer was drying i set about making the rebate around the inside of the table in which the panel would fit. I did this with the router accurately set up for the depth and for the fence. Inevitably for some reason the the cutter seemed to drop lower than it should have but i noticed before it became a disaster. When i had made the final pass all of the way around i had to square off the corners witha chisel.

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

Now for a test fit of the panel.

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

Hooray it fits :D

All thats left to do is rout a groove for the 3mm walnut inlay which will hide the meeting of the panel and top, give a final sanding to everything and finish. I was thinking of using linseed oil as i very much like to look of phillys walnut maloof style chair, very rich looking.

Apologies for it being so long with a few unnecessary photos. I aim to be finished by sunday, all things being well. 8-[

Looking good, HT! =D>
I recommend Chestnut's finishing oil for tables-it gives a similar finish to BLO but is also water and heat resistant.
Look forward to seeing the completed pics,
Cheers
Philly :D

BHT, looks really good and I could see no unneccessary photos, they are help to show how it all went together. Me thinks you need a workshop though.

Andy

Did you veneer both sides of the MDF? I was told anything 12mm, or less should always have some scrap veneer applied to "balance" the opposite side.

Looking lovely. Well done.

Adam

Excellent BHT. I don't think there can ever be too many photo's. I like the way you have done the top of the legs (more ideas for the to do list)

Let us see it when it is finished

Alan.

P.S. Love your veneer press. :lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll be sure to use the finishing oil you recommend Philly, i'll have to get that from an axminster.
Adam, i did veneer both sides using a bit of scrap walnut. I've got quite a bit from mdf box making.
I'll be sure to update with the final photos
Regards everyone

Blimey BHT thats nice =D>

Can wait to see that top with some finish on it. Keep us posted.

Nice one.
Lee.

Back