Walnut Box - Almost finished! (Lots of pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't help myself. Slotted screws have to be the way to go but (and this is going to upset someone) I don't understand how the screws can be line.

Unless by some miracle when applying the exact amount of force to tighten the hinge in place, whilst of course not over tightening the screw and having the head snap off (brass screws are not very forgiving) the slots are all in line then great, very lucky.

I don't disagree that they look good all in line but in practice you will quite likely end up with a hinge ever so slightly lose or a nightmare trying to drill out a broken screw (and I've been there).

Just my opinion! Still a lovely box!
Philip.

If it helps. My 'normal' practise is to use a steel screw of the same size, drive it in until the slot is aligned in the preffered way, and then swop it for the real McCoy brass screw.

xy

beautiful box simon, i am currently making one myself with the help and guidance of Rich burrows, i didn't catch what your finish was on it.
Thank you.

xy mosian":17fzqi6b said:
If it helps. My 'normal' practise is to use a steel screw of the same size, drive it in until the slot is aligned in the preffered way, and then swop it for the real McCoy brass screw.

xy
I am another who doesn't understand how this works. What if you are a quarter turn away from where you need it to be? Won't forcing it chew up the wood, thus losing your strength?

I would love it if someone could teach me the magic of this as it's annoyed me for ages.

This is my method for slot alignment; first I use machine screws as I feel the standard brass screws are pretty rubbish.

I also prefer a cut thread as apposed to a rolled thread as the quality is much better (buy both and you will see)

The drill size for the machine screw has to be right so it can cut its own thread I use 8BA and the drill size is 1.8mm.

After the hole is drilled (just over full depth of the screw) using a pillar drill (not freehand) I thread the hole without the hinge in place, some hard wax on the screw helps and I start the screw with the slot in the lined up position, take your time to make sure you start and continue perpendicular to the box and screw it the whole way (no jokes hehe)

Then do this for the remainder and you done, I find if I follow this I have no problems.

Hope this helps

Ian

Ps Oh btw nice looking box Simon!

Latest posts

Back