Walnut Box - Almost finished! (Lots of pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
A while ago I posted a thread on a box making course I attend given by Andrew Crawford.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32335&highlight=

Well, the thread ended with a part finished box at the end of the thread that I had to complete at home.

I have finally got round to this and post some piccys here:

CIMG0773.jpg

CIMG0775.jpg

CIMG0778.jpg

Simon

Excellent work Simon, the detail work on the stringing and hinges is of a very high quality - though I bet you get a few moans about the use of cross head screws :D

Bet you're pleased with that one

Just remembered, I owe you some photos on email too :oops:

Cheers

Damian

Nicely done. Although, I agree about the pozi screws... :roll: :)

Are they Brusso hinges?

Nothing wrong with your eye-sight Damian.

I have just realised, cross head screws are to cabinet makers what chucking whitenesses are to turners.

I stand duely reprimanded and will get some slotted screws and swap them forthwith.

Simon

If you are going to replace the screws then looking at the recesses I reckon you could get away with a larger head that will fill the gap. For a piece like yours that's a little difference that will really elevate it to a high level

I am always amazed by people who can get the top of the top panel to be exactly level with the top of the sides and not leave a gap around the edge anywhere, that takes real precision. Well done sir.

Lovely looking box and the inlays have come out brilliantly. I am trying to get swmbo to let me disappear on one of Crawfords courses (I'll keep wearing her down till she says yes).

frugal":y310vho9 said:
I am always amazed by people who can get the top of the top panel to be exactly level with the top of the sides and not leave a gap around the edge anywhere, that takes real precision. Well done sir.

Is that easier to do with that sort of hinge?

My compliments are added to those above.

Nice box Simon,

Do you intend to make any trays for the inside?

I use brusso hinges on my boxes, yours don't look Like brusso but I could be wrong. Interested to know why you didn't centralise the hinge in the sides, not a criticism just wondered what your thinking was (unless the photo is misleading!).

Good work though, dovetails next for the corners eh!

Philip.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the comments above - some very kind works and also some good constructive points.

The hinges were sourced from a US supplier:

http://www.bcspecialties.com/cigarasp/hng.asp

I guess with shipping & any contribution to the tax man they will come out near Brusso prices (why is everything so expensive here ....... no, don't start that one!).

They are very well made and the main advantage is that, for box making at least, they don't require the extra section to form a 'L'. This means to my eye a 'cleaner' look and also less of a PITA to fit - a quick buzz at the router table and you are done.

Re why not centralize, again a matter of personal choice to some extent. I will be lining the sides of the lower part of the box in light tan leather to match the bottom (still in press at time of taking photos) so the side of the hinge will not be seen in the lower section. From memory they are 8mm wide and if centralized the remaining timber either side would probably look too slim even though it is not actually doing anything.

Mmmm - dovetails. 8-[ I probably can't put off having a go any longer so will feature on the next box.

Simon.

SVB":5yd9lwco said:
I stand duely reprimanded and will get some slotted screws and swap them forthwith.

Simon
Can't see pics at the moment...one thing as well, make sure that hinges and screw heads are highly polished to remove all marks and ensure that the slots line up when they're inserted - Rob

Hi Simon,

That's a nice piece. You found a particularly nice piece of maple too. It looks like a piece of fine quality watercolour paper. You made a good job of the hinges and I agree that slot-head screws would be nicer. All in line of course!

Regards
John :D

Edit.. I found this site for hinges...
http://www.originalmarquetry.co.uk/prod ... ls_249.htm

I have nothing to do with the firm, but they look useful.

J
:D

Thanks for the link John,

I notice those hinges are 1mm thick vs 3.2mm on the ones I have. Also, the units I use are cast hinges rather than plate so therefore there is enough thickness in the material to ensure that the knuckle is perfectly strong enough without the angle. The others have the hinge formed by rolling sheet brass around the pin rather than being machined into the casting. This will give alignment problems and make a really accurate fit of the lid almost impossible, especially over time.

I just read the above - I don't mean to be dismissive as it was kind of you to post the link - just be careful as I think a good hinge will get you 50% of the way to a good box, with a poor hinge the cabinet making can be perfect and it still will not fit properly - however, all this comes at a price!

BRgds
Simon.

Nice box, the screws as IB says could be bigger to fill up the countersinks...they should be level with or just under the surface - Rob

Latest posts

Back