Wall Building Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tierney

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am re-building the front wall in my front garden. The wall is double skin and 8m long by 0.9m high and built primarily from the original old (london) stock bricks.

My plan is to have two courses of engineering brick to act as a DPC. One course will be below ground level.

I'm planning on using red solid engineering bricks.

Should I be using Class A or Class B?

All advice appreciated.

DT
P.s. would it be overkill to reinforce the foundations (125mm deep, 450mm wide, c20 strength)

I wouldn't imagine it would matter class A or B for a garden wall. Our single story extension only has Class B's, TBOMK.
.9m isn't too high to be a concern. Nor would I think foundations need reinforcing.
But only MHO - I am sure there'll be some others along soon.
HTH
Greg

Many of my neighbours' garden walls (half and single brick) are cracked due, I think, to poor foundations (clay soil area) so as a non-builder amateur I'd probably veer towards over-engineering the foundations. Assuming the additional cost of excavation/extra concrete was reasonable.

This site seems to contain sound guidance.

I would be looking for a footing of approx 300 deep concrete and an expansion gap in the middle , that is a long wall , and when you take in to account movement , which will happen , it would be shame to not allow enough .

You could go as far as to cast the footings in two sections to allow movement and then build the brickwork the same . It can be done discreetly but will pay in the future .

Once built , the joint can be camoflaged using a corrospnding mastik ( not silicone ) .

Cheers

Class B reds will blow when the frost gets at them. My brickie has changed my brick-on-edge top course twice.
When the time for another replacement comes, (if I'm still around), they'll be changed for engineering blues; and today even those are suspect!

Benchwayze":1tlsze7v said:
Class B reds will blow when the frost gets at them. My brickie has changed my brick-on-edge top course twice.
When the time for another replacement comes, (if I'm still around), they'll be changed for engineering blues; and today even those are suspect!

Were your Class B's best stock solids? They should be completely non-porus, that's the whole point of engineering bricks. I'd suggest that if the forst has gotten in and blown them, then they were not engineering bricks at all but a smooth facing brick.

MMUK":3rrilcvv said:
Benchwayze":3rrilcvv said:

Were your Class B's best stock solids?

They will be next time Steve! :)

John

Benchwayze":3fu97nx7 said:
MMUK":3fu97nx7 said:
Benchwayze":3fu97nx7 said:

Were your Class B's best stock solids?

They will be next time Steve! :)

John

Speak to John at Mahoney's for best stock :D

Thanks for all the advice.

Dusty,

Would reinforcing the concrete avoid the need to cast in two sections?

DT

Morning Tierney
Reinforcing the concrete will reduce the need for an expansion join in it but you would need to place 2 layers if you are using mesh or a cage . One layer will be ineffective . You will need a minimum coverage of 50mm coverage of concrete , ie the mesh set 50mm from the bottom and 50mm from top of concrete .By doing this you can keep the concrete to a depth 350 to 400 . We have built structural load bearing slabs for steel structures using this method which were supporting steelwork in localised positions .

But even with so I would still build the wall with 1 expansion joint as engineering bricks have no forgiveness using sand and cement mix . Next time you are out take a look at similar walls and pay attention to any cracks etc .

Cheers Dusty

Back