Walking stick speed drying

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kryten602

Established Member
Reaction score
I realise this may not be the right forum for this question, but usually when I make thumbsticks out of hazel or ash, I let the sticks dry for at least 12 months before I finish them off. Blackthorn needs 2 years apparently, so my questions are what happens if you work them immediately and by that I mean steam and straighten them and add the brass ferrule. Is it possible to kiln dry them or is that a bad idea? If kiln drying is ok, how does one build and heat something like that? It only needs to hold about a dozen sticks at a time. I've just found this lovely blackthorn thumbstick and I have to wait 2 years? I may get hit by a bus before then.

Kryten602":1v1yylzv said:
I've just found this lovely blackthorn thumbstick and I have to wait 2 years? I may get hit by a bus before then.

The essential requirement for successful woodworking is a patient and methodical personality. For everyone else there's video gaming.

:D

Yes I'm sure you are right. There are options for kiln drying, but moisture loss control is imperative and different for each type of wood. Thanks for your reply Custard.

If you harvest and put aside a good number this year (or when you can) and then a few each year, you will soon have a good supply. That 2 years will be here before you know it!

"The essential requirement for successful woodworking is a patient and methodical personality. For everyone else there's video gaming."

Quote of the year, surely?!!

Latest posts

Back