Wadkin Time Warp Workshop - Kent

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Matty

Thanks for the wonderful input to this thread....it is great to have original catalogues and Jack did say you were the man! He was not wrong.

I have been chatting with Ben over the last few days and it is his wish to preserve the "whole" in some way so I think we can rest assured that scrapping is not an option.

I think ideally we would all like to see this equipment brought back to life...it really is like a Marie Celeste workshop...the sawdust on the name plates was particularly poignant.

The publicity that this thread has generated has allowed options to emerge which would otherwise have been buried so let us hope that at the end of the thread...we are all able to see this time warp workshop restored to its former glory and working again as it was meant to.

Thanks again...your input has been invaluable.

Jim

Nice to see so much information on these old machines, made me chuckle to see the wadkin table saw with a mitre slot, so much for good/industrial saw benches not having one - if thats not a good saw I will eat my hat.

I hope we will all be kept informed with what happens, good luck to Ben with his project.

Wow Matty - unbelievable amount of info there. I had a really close look at the cross-cut saw and the controls were a delight, no play anywhere, motor was almost whisper-quiet. I would be sure all these machines were well maintained during their working life and given the build quality just need a clean and de-rust off surfaces only.
I like how Wadkin speak of 'an unequalled engineering job'... very Leicester engineer speak, that is.

jimi43":1yewqr3d said:
Hi Matty

Thanks for the wonderful input to this thread....it is great to have original catalogues and Jack did say you were the man! He was not wrong.

I have been chatting with Ben over the last few days and it is his wish to preserve the "whole" in some way so I think we can rest assured that scrapping is not an option.

I think ideally we would all like to see this equipment brought back to life...it really is like a Marie Celeste workshop...the sawdust on the name plates was particularly poignant.

The publicity that this thread has generated has allowed options to emerge which would otherwise have been buried so let us hope that at the end of the thread...we are all able to see this time warp workshop restored to its former glory and working again as it was meant to.

Thanks again...your input has been invaluable.

Jim

Has anyone considered approaching the museum of kent life?

Take heart good people, but remember that it took something like 20 years to get the volunteers and the money raisers to get their act together on the Kempton engines.

If you're up for it, it's going to take a mighty commitment!

L.S.Barker1970":1jxff9nu said:
please keep in mind also that from the Wadkin catalogues I have the earliest only spans from 1939 to 1944, the catalogues cut’s shown are when Wadkin was trading as a LTD company, say from 1936 as Jack has mentioned.
It is also interesting to note that even from the later edition catalogue cuts flat belt machinery was still an option for some machines, and more than likely being fazed out in the late 30’s early 40’s.
I am of the belief that the CC model docking saw may have been purchased the same time or close to as all the other machines, the plate on the electric motor mentions British Thompson Houston & Co who were, (in association also with General Electric) the first to make Electric motors for Wadkin under contract in 1928
Melbourne Matty.

Some more on the dates as far as the test number and tag details Matty i would like to add to you once again top notch post.

The test numbers do not necessarily contain the year of manufacture because test numbers were often allocated out of sequence to the date. The test number is a serial number denoting the mechanical/electrical testing of the machine to meet whatever market requirements the machine needed. Not all Wadkin machines were built in the same factory as Wadkin owned.The test department therefore issued their own test certificates with unique serial numbers for everything Wadkin sold which bear no relation to the date of manufacture, although it is possible to calculate the date of manufacture if you have a copy of the test certificates block list which no-one outside Wadkin is supposed to have.Now there's some dirty papers I would love to see.

Green lane works testing department 1940
47226d1303929580t-machinery-production-facility-1940s-wadkin-testing-department.jpg

The test numbers sequencing was adopted in the late 1930s probably a 1928 to 1942 period machine had the brass/bronzes name plates(Wadkin & Co) and were replaced by steel ones during WWII like the one on the ram saw Wadkin CC docker, although by the late 1940s Wadkin did revert to cast brass plates on some machines that where Wadkin LTD. The other clue to dates is the nomenclature. Prior to WWII Wadkin used to give their machines two letter names in the main, hence RA, RB, LS, EP, etc. The third letter would indicate the power source, e.g. "A" means AC motor, "D" means DC motor drive and no suffix meant that either there was no choice (i.e. the machine only came in AC motor or lineshaft drive method) or that the machine had been supplied with motor and/or switchgear. Sometime around WWII or possibly shortly after the suffix letter for motorised machines was dropped as lineshaft/belt drive was by then disappearing fast (Wadkin's last full-line catalogue to list them was actually in the 1930s although individual brochures did list them much later) and DC motors were available to special order only. The first letter referred to the "family" of machines - "R" machines were always planers, thicknessers or planer/thicknessers (e.g. RA, RB, RD, RE, RM, RZ, etc), "S" machines were all rip saw benches (e.g. SO. SP, SR, SS, SW, etc), "P" machines were all precision saw benches (e.g. PK, PP, PU, etc), "D" were all bandsaws (e.g. DE, DR, DS, etc), "L" were all pin routers, borers or recessors (e.g. LE, LS, LL, LM, LQ, etc) and so on.

Things started to get a lot more confused after the Sagar/Bursgreen buy-out occurred with some machines originally built a Wadkin in Leicester being transferred to Bursgreen, Durham or Trawden and given a "B" prefix (e.g. LM borers became BLMs), some Sagar designs being retained to replace the older Wadkin designs and also getting a "B" prefix in front of the original Sagar name, e.g. the 6in BFS started life as a Sagar FS (and incidentally was the machine which replaced the Leicester-built RA small planer). Some machines even got odder names, like the AGS table saw (although there was also a BGS) and the MZC/MZF/MZM "family" of band saws, and this does not even make any sense. I would love to hear from any ex Wadkin employee that can confirm or add to this dating tool.

jack

Good LORD Jack and Matty...this place is a mine of very exciting information indeed!

=D> =D> =D>

Thank Heaven for the colonies, that's all I can say! :mrgreen:

Ben is considering various options as we speak Simon but thanks for the excellent suggestion...the more the merrier! :wink:

Jim

Oryxdesign":18pdapk6 said:
I'd sure be interested in helping should the opportunity arise Jim

Night owl too eh Simon!? I just finished work....we won't go into that!

I think if a joint trip is organised you should take the opportunity...it is a real eye-opener to see a workshop like that...I've only seen a belt system in books...and old ones at that! One of the books I have has the entire planning information for such a setup...but I guess Wadkin would have been involved in setting up or planning this one...

A company spending that much money back in the 20s would probably have had an engineer visit too to install the entire workshop.

It is a testament to the Wadkin machines that not only have they survived for 70 years but that they have ALL survived equally and probably will keep on going for another generation or three! :wink:

Jim

L.S.Barker1970":2z0ei0ol said:
None the less even just looking at the photos of this shop I feel very much at home, I hope the machines have a future either restored, in use, on display at a historical venue, any thing but taken to scrap, I feel this is very much a part of our history and important enough for even our children at least to see how we once worked.

Melbourne Matty.

jimi43":2z0ei0ol said:
Jim

Jim, Douglas and everyone thank you, and may I apologize if I come on strong with the "Heritage Lecture" It is just something I'm Passionate about, but judging by the amount of interest generated and all the excitement, I would have to say Gentlemen you have it under control.
I have seen similar setups in my time broken up, some sold, some scraped and It always makes me sad, times are changing and we are losing our industrial heritage.
For me there will always be time to reflect on the way things were, I wish you all the very best on your new endeavor, as I will be watching from a far enviously....

Melbourne Matty.

jimi43":17a2jd5j said:
Oryxdesign":17a2jd5j said:
I'd sure be interested in helping should the opportunity arise Jim

Night owl too eh Simon!? I just finished work....we won't go into that!

I think if a joint trip is organised you should take the opportunity...it is a real eye-opener to see a workshop like that...I've only seen a belt system in books...and old ones at that! One of the books I have has the entire planning information for such a setup...but I guess Wadkin would have been involved in setting up or planning this one...

A company spending that much money back in the 20s would probably have had an engineer visit too to install the entire workshop.

It is a testament to the Wadkin machines that not only have they survived for 70 years but that they have ALL survived equally and probably will keep on going for another generation or three! :wink:

Jim

Keep me posted Jim, I'm keen to visit.

L.S.Barker1970":sawxfwae said:
The only machine that has really eluded me is the DH Bandsaw, I am only able to find a DR model in my catalogs (which I have placed up any way for good measure), and lets face it any bandsaw with Wadkin & Co - Leicester, with Cast raised letters into the C frame must be very old, I personally have never seen this particular model.

A little more on this bandsaw Matty. I beleive that the DH is a 24" saw With spocked wheel(just a hunch). They may even be cast aluminium pulleys. More information is need on this saw for documenting. What is interesting to note is how round the C fame is to the earlier DR. The upper pulley tension arrangement is centered under the steel not spooked wheel/pulley as well. The early DR boxed out the frame and made the saw larger in 30 and 36 there was also a hand brake add.

here is a DNA 128" with a "Test Number" of 6812 (28" saw)in Canada with a squared off C frame but only the Wadkin & Co cast in the upper hub guard . This looks to be its next design change. Note that the tension design of the upper pulley is retained.

6405226_Main.jpg

6405226_Small1.jpg

6405226_Small2.jpg

Next up is one of the first Wadkin DR/DN band saw in 30" and 36". Note that this Wadkin DR is one of the first direct drive saw made in England with steel pulleys. The Motors looks small and there is a built in dust chutecast into the lower frame. Again the band tension design remains. the upper guards are round top too.

wadkinDH-1.jpg

Some time in the 40s I believe all these old designs were reworked and the DR was changed again . This time they change the tension design and added the hand brake.This is my Wadkin DR with all the new features like Motor guard. back guard closing in the upper pulley that is no long rounded on top. Larger motors are added too and the blade guilds are up graded. the DR was the last of the cast C frame saws wadkin made. The Bursgreen BZB was to take off from here and it would not to long before Wadkin went to a steel frame saw. Wadkin was late to do this tho as others had 10 years early than they.

013-6.jpg

jack

I served my time in a shop that had these machines which wrier change for the electric versions. The shaft & pulley system was left in situ.
We had a morticer with 2 handles like the 1 in the photo, it is a dual head morticed, 1 head for a chisel, the other for a chain. The planer, circular saw, spindle moulder, crosscut saw & bandsaw are virtually identical to what we used.
Here is a photo we took of a lathe i used. It is a Wadkin with a 10'-0" bed which moved on a rack & pinion system to leave a 2'-0" gap between the bed end & pedestal. This allowed a turning of approx 8'-0" diameter or a 12'-0" long spindle. There is a tool post which also works on a rack & pinion, there is also a standard tool rest.
Hope this is of interest.
Wadkin15Lathe1.jpg

Bill, that is a phenominal lathe - any examples of the kinds of things being turned?? (not pics, just recollections).
And we seem to have found the 'Wadkin axis' - it follows a straight line from Canada to Australia (hence missing the U.K. all together).

Hi Douglas, thanks for your interest. We turned many a pattern on this lathe from wheels which you see in the picture to liners for steel vessels. These large pieces were made from segments cut on the bandsaw & glued & screwed together on a big circular backboard up to 8'-0" diameter fixed to a faceplate 16"-18" diameter. The segments were built up to 2'-0" deep. If reqd. these turned pieces were fixed together to make a deeper turning.
For large diameter turning the lathe has a free standing cast iron tripod toolrest which weighs approx. 3 cwt. It takes 3 men to move it into position, once set the toolrest is on a lockable articulating arm which adjusts the rest where you need it. This arm is modelled off the human arm from shoulder to wrist including elbow, this really works great. The rest is just too heavy to nudge up a bit so the arm is the answer as it can be used on the inside as well as the outside of a turning.
The lathe has no brake,so when turning large diameters & you switch off you have time for a cuppa while the lathe stops, so great was the inertia.
Just a bit more useless information but it brings back fond memories, because anyone who used Wadkin gear tends to have an affinity with it.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for sharing this, Jim & Douglas - a great thread indeed!

A place I worked at circa 1990 had some similar kit, though poorly maintained. Still in daily use after 60 or so years though - a testament to British engineering.

I think someone has already mentioned this excellent website, on which I've spent many a happy hour:
http://vintagemachinery.org/

All US stuff and I've often regretted that there isn't an equivalent for this side of the pond. Surely the excitement this thread has demonstrated indicates the need and sufficient interest for something similar 'our side'??

Indeed...Sawyer...this thread has exceeded even my expectations of popularity and contributions of the highest order!

I was looking back at some of the pictures and this very first one..the general shot caught my eye...

DSC_0382.JPG

I noticed the templates up there on the beam....now any ideas what they were for?

The shape seems vaguely familiar....mmmm =P~

Jim

Sawyer":106g31o0 said:
Thanks for sharing this, Jim & Douglas - a great thread indeed!

A place I worked at circa 1990 had some similar kit, though poorly maintained. Still in daily use after 60 or so years though - a testament to British engineering.

I think someone has already mentioned this excellent website, on which I've spent many a happy hour:
http://vintagemachinery.org/

All US stuff and I've often regretted that there isn't an equivalent for this side of the pond. Surely the excitement this thread has demonstrated indicates the need and sufficient interest for something similar 'our side'??

Wadkin and Bursgreen have entries on vintagemachinery.org:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=2238&tab=4
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=3054&tab=4
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=2776&tab=4

VM is volunteer run by a small staff, which is why it hasn't expanded much beyond US and Canadian manufacturers. Jack and Matty have contributed most of the info on these British companies. If you have information on these or other British manufacturers, you can send an email through the site at http://vintagemachinery.org/about/contact.aspx.

As far as all the machines on this thread, I encourage Ben to get some good pictures and contribute them to VM. Which reminds me, I'm way behind on my machines...

Kirk

Back