Wadkin saw help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plug

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been given this saw (well I have got to hang 5 internal doors),

it is a ex collage wadkin ags10, 3 phase 3 hp saw fitted with a 12inch blade, table size 20" by 28".
I don't have 3 phase in my workshop so want to convert it to single phase. Will any motor do or does it have to be a certain type eg: cap start cap run. Current motor has a 3 belt pulley with a 19mm bore.
Any recommendations on what to get and from where?
Also anyone know what the big green spanner is for?
Is it possible to get a shorter slide bar as my one is 1700 long and i don,t want to fit the other table.
I have done a search on here but has not been a great help.

Cheers Paul

I'd agree with Jelly maybe look for a converter or even a inverter then you don't have to mess around getting a motor to fit as the 3 phase one. If you want to go single phase just get the spec off the 3 phase motor plate. The big spanner will be for the blade nut.
mark

I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend.

I converted both my Wadkin ags saw & planer to single phase by changing the 3 phase motors & starters for single phase as it was the cheapest option for me, a new 3 hp single phase motor & starter cost £165.
They were both foot mounted motors so I just had to drill & tap new holes to mount the new motors.

Regards.

dj.

The spanner looks huge. At first I thought it may be for the nut that holds the blade on the arbor - on my saw the nut uses (about) a 34mm spanner (I use an adjustable wrench). The arbor on my machine is 20mm diameter as are the mitre slots on the table. 19mm of couse equates to 3/4 inch and my Wadkin (ex school) has arbor and mitre slots at 20mm.

The slide bar - that the fence slides along - as you will have seen is not just plain roundstock, but has teeth on the underside and a flat upper side. I have never seen any for sale and your most likely source is Ebay. Daltons ( http://www.daltonsmachines.com/wadkin ) do have some spares but they tend to be very expensive. There may be someone with a similar machine with a shorter fence bar that would be interested in a swap of the bar and extension table but you would need to be sure sizes match exactly!

As for the motor I would certainly look at getting a converter/inverter. Bob '9fingers' unfortunately no longer frequents this forum and can be found on the wood haven - he has produced an excellent guide on single/3 phase motors and is always very helpful. I would strongly recommend contacting him for advice on the matter.

Misterfish

Latest posts

Back