Wadkin RU lathe restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Wadkins are so hard to find here in nz

I don't know that I'd agree. Certainly not as many as in the UK, but there are a constant trickle on Trademe - and often at very reasonable prices.

For example I've only seen one CK radial arm saw go for over $200 (100 UKP) and well over a dozen below that price. I've only seen one CC ras go for over $500 (250 UKP), and I picked up one for a mate for $74.50 a year ago.

You've just got to keep an eye out.

I have to admit there aren't many Wadkin woodlathes. I've never seen a RU lathe, and maybe only two or three RS lathes in six years.

Then again, New Zealand has one of maybe three Wadkin Mechanical Woodworkers worldwide.

Cheers, Vann.

Yeah I have been collecting for the last 7 years now, I have a few in the shed but always looking for more that I can put into use.
I'm keen as for a ru, I tried to bid on the last 3 rs that came up but the prices they went for were pretty out there.
The first pin router for sale right now.....
It was probably you that snapped up the pk before I got a chance... ;-)

Been a bit out of fettle for a week so progress has been slow,

ctIhHcC.jpg

hgjNcvk.jpg

Its quite the task moving this stuff around in a limited space

cturtGw.jpg

MLsdZe2.jpg

449d3XZ.jpg

I got the repaired casting and oil sight glass back from john

nhN11SA.jpg

Heres a link to john

(7) SNNC 430 P1 Fine Internal Thread - YouTube

OMG what a glorious day! The bimbo trying to take my home just lost her stay in court. I got my hearing granted. Now she has to answer up to the forged documents. A good day for me. Now to undue the second protection hearing.

Then Wallace posts on his RU. One of the coolest wadkins ever. I love it. Great job Wallace! You really made my day! Awsome work!

vvBU2EP.jpg

The brass was a bit dinged up so I gave it a skim

zUOKbf1.jpg

I've been removing masking tape and assembling bits all week. On some bits the tape had left its adhesive on the metal, was a right pain to remove even with thinners. I've not had this problem with frog tape before.

I went over the surfaces with oil stone to remove any dings on the ways. every machined surface has been hand scraped when it was built.

6UP3lwr.jpg

This was what had been used to lock the tool rest. I have a proper lever but it needs drilling and tapping for 3/4".

6Ndkd6r.jpg

I found this in my stash

sBiRnWk.jpg

gDIzErI.jpg

The cover for the outboard spindle, sanded to 240

PzQoRnQ.jpg

Then buffed

fNlI4K4.jpg

DvyC0g8.jpg

GqUknPJ.jpg

The spindle interlock

VTpKlJf.jpg

ZqkbcB9.jpg

New flip top oilers

3qPcXXq.jpg

fnrfWJJ.jpg

siJSeJB.jpg

koNJKrF.jpg

08o3TaS.jpg

XfsF3Qk.jpg

ZYAiCsv.jpg

This is the second RU I have seen restored to this level. Absolutely the most beautiful “wood” lathe I have come across. Wallace you have done a wonderful job here. And you have been a great help.

In my fight to rid myself of the bimbo pest I got into a fight with her camp. She wants my stuff removed as junk. I used this thread as an court exhibit of why my stuff is not junk. Impressive enough to shut them down! Thanks. This and jacks PK is all it took.

I can’t wait to get onto my RU. The brass accessories are so cool. And is it true every machined surface is scraped? What about the ways? We’re they scraped also?

wallace, I've monitored the restorations you've undertaken on various bits of Wadkin kit, and I've always been impressed by the processes you describe and with the end results. When I trained the vast majority of the machinery I worked with was Wadkin, and well beyond my initial training Wadkin dominated my workshop experience until probably the last twenty years. So, I have a fondness for Wadkin machinery primarily through, I suppose, an element of sentimentality whilst at the same time not being blind to some of Wadkin's quirks and even their mostly minor faults.

I've posted mainly to let you know how much I enjoy seeing these restorations you do and rather admire your obsession(?) with the Wadkin brand. I'm kind of glad that I don't have quite your enthusiasm for this venerable brand, but they certainly did put out some impressive kit. Slainte.

Thanks Richard, I like wadkin because in my mind they were just about the best. Robinson were superior in a few machines but no one had such a range of machines. My preference is for the older stuff. I think they lost there way in the 60's.

Adam they certainly have a decent capacity, this one is the 12" version, they did an 18" one also. The bed is about 3m and fully extended should be able to take 4m between centres. They also did a powered traverse but it was very complicated and was dropped.
This is the last machine in my bucket list so is a keeper.

This is the last machine in my bucket list so is a keeper.
Presumably you have plans to use it to turn a few small items, such as pepper mills or a few commemorative platters, something like that? After all, you wouldn't want to tax the machine beyond it's capacity, ha, ha. Slainte.

How do you get the bed to slide over ?
You gotta eat your spinach lol
Crank on bed.
This will turn about anything reasonable….. well almost. I would need the 18 in model to turn my ex girlfriend……

They did have bed extender plates. Not sure how these would work out but will post when I get this beastie home.

I had no idea the 12 in was this heavy duty. Moving it the final leg won’t be cheap.

walkace…. Would be interested in your assessment of which robinsons were better.

How do you get the bed to slide over ?
That bit john repaired attaches to the bed and houses 2 gears, one goes to a handle which is wound by the operator, the other is on the end of a long screw which goes through a threaded plate attached to the headstock. I reckon the whole lathe would have to be well levelled for it to work easily.

Adam the last picture in post 46 shows the handle below the tailstock under the bed right at ankle banging height.
It is also illustrated in the first post.

Pete

vvBU2EP.jpg

The brass was a bit dinged up so I gave it a skim

zUOKbf1.jpg

I've been removing masking tape and assembling bits all week. On some bits the tape had left its adhesive on the metal, was a right pain to remove even with thinners. I've not had this problem with frog tape before.

I went over the surfaces with oil stone to remove any dings on the ways. every machined surface has been hand scraped when it was built.

6UP3lwr.jpg

This was what had been used to lock the tool rest. I have a proper lever but it needs drilling and tapping for 3/4".

6Ndkd6r.jpg

I found this in my stash

sBiRnWk.jpg

gDIzErI.jpg

The cover for the outboard spindle, sanded to 240

PzQoRnQ.jpg

Then buffed

fNlI4K4.jpg

DvyC0g8.jpg

GqUknPJ.jpg

The spindle interlock

VTpKlJf.jpg

ZqkbcB9.jpg

New flip top oilers

3qPcXXq.jpg

fnrfWJJ.jpg

siJSeJB.jpg

koNJKrF.jpg

08o3TaS.jpg

XfsF3Qk.jpg

ZYAiCsv.jpg
Fantastic refurbishment. Have you enough work for it to be kept busy full time? Cheers Tony

It’s nice to have the work to keep it busy but it’s also about the Wadkin itself.

I hope to get going on my RU as therapy for a seven month legal fight to keep my home. I have finally got a settlement in works.

It cost me a lot including the loss of an RS lathe. So my RU will be my ticket to health. It doesn’t matter if it’s used to make the occasional pen project.

Wallace’s work has gone a long way to keeping me focused on what I needed to do during my fight. I am forever grateful to his postings for my own mental health.

Back