Wadkin RU lathe restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Not to rest on my laurels, I thought it would be nice to start this monster. I've been after one of these for a long time but I am very cheap so didn't want to pay top dollar. I got an email from a guy who said he had seen one in scrap dealers yard, and hated to see it go for scrap. He kindly got me the dealers contact and I rang immediately. The price was cheap at £800 but it was about 170miles away.
I said I'd have it so then set about figuring out how to get it home. I didn't trust a courier to handle the bed because its 3m long. In the end I took the seats out of my vw and went to collect the bed and carriage etc. I put the headstock on a pallet for a courier. The bed just fit under the passenger footwell and I could close the tailgate.
The guy had an overhead crane so it was easy loading it. I had an engine hoist and a pump truck. The bed weighs around 750kg.

Oy4HkuN.png

Its been sat in my garden for quite a while smothered in waxoyle and sheeted, I wont be able to bring it in untill the FM I did last year goes. I'm hoping it will be soon.

Its hard to illustrate just how big this thing is. Thats a wadkin RS10 tailstock next to the RU one.

TI7kTS7.jpg

5P5MpDR.jpg

VQCAhpu.jpg

I had to use the oxy/propane to warm the tailstock up and hit the quill with a big hammer

s0cdqtU.jpg

NVSmooc.jpg

tgZAPIS.jpg

The carriage is huge

nkSYrhZ.jpg

p46nBr4.jpg

VS47txs.jpg

But its not in bad shape

L7KNOWl.jpg

This bit is the gears for moving the bed, its been repaired before. I think I will ask mr doubleboost to do a proper job

G7N4nYi.jpg

uyRB8tP.jpg

qmzXx6h.jpg

No pitting on the ways, just surface rust.

4mmBdEu.jpg

KlRCRP8.jpg

dvaoq8H.jpg

I really do like these paint removal discs, I wish I'd found them 8 years ago. They do vibrate a bit untill they balance themselves.

HzbY79b.jpg

fR7xuK5.jpg

b2jgyQN.jpg

I went to get some paint today, I fancy trying 2 pack again so got a liter mixed to the usual RAL7011, it was nearly £40. The place I use is normally good for paint, enamel is only £11 a liter. I just checked and 2pack is only £22 online but enamel is £24. It pays to shop around.

I recently invested in a new powered respirator, I'd been using the versiflo for years but you couldnt use paint filters with it, I've stayed with versaflo but its a newer model that can take appropriate filters for spraying. I also got a hood which is quite comfortable.
With the old one even though it was a positive pressure helmet and visor you could still get stuff coming through even though it had an elasticated strip around your chin.

aRZH53N.jpg

Oooh, an RU. I'll have to live vicariously on this one as even with no car in the garage there will never be room for something fun like this.... The PK maybe would fit... or at least I would make it fit. :)

I've been using those paint removal disks as well, although I've had hit or miss on them depending on the paint. On the plus side I find they actually remove rust (and the surface coating from hot rolled steel to weld it) quite well, but are too aggressive for anything machined.

Funny enough, they totally failed on whatever crud WB painted the later AGS with. Was almost like it was some kind of latex... it just gummed up the disk and then smeared or melted the stuff on the machine...

I'm hoping I can make it fit in my shop, theirs another 10 machines to work around.
I found the discs didn't work very well on the filler on the PK, it tended to get hot and smear it,

Not much to show, just lots of grunt work filling and sanding

rdZtvLl.jpg

yvetoic.jpg

After a basic fill and sand I went over with a polyester spray filler

dp7Cu9n.jpg

Then more sanding

cciIm4X.jpg

pGxueM5.jpg

nEsPbBa.jpg

After final sanding everything got a prime coat and then I used a product called barcoat. It acts as a sealer and stops anything affecting the top coat. Because I'm using 2pack it can be very unforgiving and go pear shaped.
I once prepped a whole lathe for 2 weeks then when I applied the top coat it reacted to something underneath.

nG8dEU2.jpg

5iaeKF2.jpg

AVXwVlt.jpg

Fair play puting the bed in your car. 750kg!! I used to use my old volvo 940 for weights like that but wouldn't risk any thing else. Thats a monster and well done for rescuing it from scrap. Far too many really well built machines end up as scrap. I havent come accross those discs. Where do you get them from. I have been using a air power needle descaler on my old forklift but its taking ages.

Fair play puting the bed in your car. 750kg!! I used to use my old volvo 940 for weights like that but wouldn't risk any thing else. Thats a monster and well done for rescuing it from scrap. Far too many really well built machines end up as scrap. I havent come accross those discs. Where do you get them from. I have been using a air power needle descaler on my old forklift but its taking ages.

If you search on amazon or ebay for paint removal discs they come up. they are a huge time saver.

Its almost as if my vw was meant to transport lathes, passenger seat removed

3fH0aVn.jpg

I managed to drag the headstock into the shed

zHWOmcU.jpg

bT0uxCI.jpg

XxsSIO8.jpg

I found the pics off when I went to collect the bed

3fH0aVn.jpg

It was fun getting it out by myself with just a pump truck and engine hoist

8GstJ0B.jpg

cR4l3gj.jpg

It has a tapered pin but its impossible to tap it out. I had to drill it.

7RBLBl1.jpg

Its supposed to have an oil sight glass here, I'm going to see if john can make one.

eHMN7I0.jpg

Everything moves freely so I will just flush it and repack the bearings.

lGV0EEo.jpg

This is the speed changer, it just hooks over a gear and shoves it to mesh into the others

a4Es1Hk.jpg

Someone ate their spinach! That bade head casting looks heavy! The gears look straight forward for a lathe to turn ball point pens! Love in It!

wallace,
I really wish u were my next door neighbour......
as a retired mechanical engineer what fun could be had with all the dust n rust.....
take care young man with the weighty bits.....
a damaged body takes a while to repair.....
good luck and thanks for the posting on the forum......

wallace,
as a retired mechanical engineer what fun could be had with all the dust n rust.....

I'm nursing a calcified shoulder, been waiting for surgery for 18 months. I'm hoping to get this one done before surgery because I will be out of action for a while

wallace,
My father in law lived next door to me and would always come in and lend a hand, he generally did more damage than good and was a clumsy bloke. He passed away a while back and he is sorly missed, he was a pain the buttocks. I'm sure I still see him in my periferal vision when I'm working

I may have said it before but thats a beast of a machine. The gears look like new and bonus that they are turning freely. Looking forward to pics of it completed and working.
Well done

A bit more done, thats alot of wires

UtovXBN.jpg

Someone has been messing about with the head. its supposed to have allignment dowels and then bolted. No dowels, so that would of been fun aligning it to the tail stock.

ZVU7Alb.jpg

lAMz9Qy.jpg

This machine dates from 1945

eofHzmj.jpg

MQqJ34a.jpg

JcIkTY1.jpg

d1p2wWq.jpg

AvQqLR6.jpg

Last edited:
I really do like these paint removal discs, I wish I'd found them 8 years ago. They do vibrate a bit untill they balance themselves.

HzbY79b.jpg

fR7xuK5.jpg

b2jgyQN.jpg

I went to get some paint today, I fancy trying 2 pack again so got a liter mixed to the usual RAL7011, it was nearly £40. The place I use is normally good for paint, enamel is only £11 a liter. I just checked and 2pack is only £22 online but enamel is £24. It pays to shop around.

I recently invested in a new powered respirator, I'd been using the versiflo for years but you couldnt use paint filters with it, I've stayed with versaflo but its a newer model that can take appropriate filters for spraying. I also got a hood which is quite comfortable.
With the old one even though it was a positive pressure helmet and visor you could still get stuff coming through even though it had an elasticated strip around your chin.

aRZH53N.jpg
Aaaaaaaghh!! - The aliens are coming......

A little bit more done.

Wk2wlP0.jpg

plCLOik.jpg

The only good thing about people using hammerite to make machines look newer back in the day is that they very rarely prepped anything so it comes off quite easily. Its tedious but just a wood chisel is good for getting it off.

ZyMfsHX.jpg

SXySVuZ.jpg

wEtDzB8.jpg

0xZhUOc.jpg

dsP23Z5.jpg

EXZCIkd.jpg

IJgi4WH.jpg

With the amount of paint removal you do with these restoration projects have you ever considered getting a grit blasting cabinet and/or a blasting pot for bigger pieces outside in a tent?

Pete

Back