Wadkin Planer/Jointer restoration project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Garnham":20rggjad said:
I've been following this one from the start.......

Hey Mike, I hope you're not confusing Greens finished Wadkin with my unfinished specimen....

Nice work Green - seems that every time I enter the 'shop lately the Wadkin is screaming out for some TLC. Sometime, maybe......

Thanks for sharing the pics. Let us know how you get on with your motor.

Cheers

Karl

I recently aquired an old 9" planer. The make is Metalclad, Neath, Glamorgan.
The only hit on Google is an entry in Hansard from, 4th May 1938 stating that the company had closed, the previous December.
I'm inspired by the Wadkin projects, so may start my own refurb.
I will post some pics if requested, as the design is novel. The stand, which houses the motor, is open, with the base sitting on top. the tables move up and down by turning screws, but are carried in substantial dowels arranged so that the movement is tangential to the two knife cutter-block. It is a well made, professional machine. Like the Wadkins, the important parts are machined to close tolerances, while bits hidden from view were left rough.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. :D

Chris24":26y8ng9b said:
The make is Metalclad, Neath, Glamorgan.
Never heard of them but that does not count for a lot.
I have a Wadkin Table saw and a Multico planer, old cast iron makes for solid machines and they are a pleasure to use.
Chris24":26y8ng9b said:
I will post some pics if requested,
Er request made. :roll:

It would be good to get the machine documented so anyone else can see what they are like if they find one in a barn somewhere.

A word of warning, we have a spam trap that will stop pictures and links until you have a few posts top your name, don't worry about it, one us will be along to sort it out if it kicks in.

Wow that looks fantastic! I'd love to have the time and inclination to do something like that. Well done.

/Users//Desktop/Metalclad 9" jointer.jpeg

I hope that above this is a picture of the Metalclad planer, as it was when I first had it. Made not far away from here, in Neath, Glamorgan.
I last night found an entry in google for an old auction selling what I think is a similar machine.
The table arrangement is a bit like the General on Konrad Sauer's website, in that they are carried on carriages.
I think that it was cream originally.
The thing runs amazingly well considering that it all looks original. It winds up and up, but will never take off, so I don't think I will bother bolting it down.
My first project is to use all the space privided in the stand to construct a waste chute and connect to my extractor. I only took a few passes of some thick old pine and was knee deep! Then new switch gear and wiring?

thanks for the welcome.

Chris

Thanks for the kind words.

The machine is up and running and has given a good run in, it works brilliantly. I'll post some 'finished' pics if anyone wants.

Cheers

P.S sorry for hi-jacking your thread, Karl.

Green":39uzbvqk said:
P.S sorry for hi-jacking your thread, Karl.

:lol:

I think it might have been another few months before I got this thread up and running again!

Great job on your planer.

I will post some pics of my machine once completed - just don't know how long it'll be before it's finished.

Cheers

Karl

hi guys, have just joined site,some really good work going on restoring. i have just bought a wadkin rma 28 inch planer thicknesser she is a real beast and run perfectly will post pics later.she is of that old grey blue colour i would really appreciate if some one out there would know the colour code and type of paint as i hope to restore this beauty .hope i,m not standing on any toes by just jumping in .regards mick

Hi Mick, welcome to the forum. There are quite a few wadkin nuts about here. I have restored a few wadkin machines. Heres a link to my most recent

wadkin-pillar-drill-resto-t56790.html

I found it quite hard to find a RAL number for the old colour paint so in the end I took a piece with the original paint on to a motor factors and they colour chipped it. I use machinery enamel its very durable and goes on really well either sprayed or brush. Are you planning on restoreing the planer you have, if so start a thread. Everyone likes a good machine tart up.
Mark

I see the last post is from 2008 so he either got bored of it or did not post a completed pic :roll:

Latest posts

Back