wadkin pk restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I'd do a bit pimping out, instead of the normal wood inserts I got some brass flat bar.

To make it fit nice and snug I traced the ends and then glued it onto the brass, then used a disc sander to sand to the line. I had to remove 3/4mm off the thickness.

To do the long edge I had to remove 1.5mm so instead of just sanding I used the router table. and then finished off by sanding.

This saw came without its crown guard and adjuster so I got one from a standard sized pk. Only problem is the bars that support the guard are not long enough. I had some nice bar but it was only 25mm and the hole it goes into is 34mm. To get around this I drilled some holes in wood then epoxied them in place. Then I put the bar on the lathe and turned the wood down to size.

For some reason the bar that supports the crown guard was not long enough so I reused the bar that was too short earlier. This bit was too thick so it will need turning down. This is the first time I've done metal work on my RS lathe. The bar is only mild steel so it was pretty easy to do, it just took a while.

I just need a metal working chuck and then I thought I'd do them in brass. Jack told me that bearing boys do a bush to the very measurments I needed

I put the handles in the drill to clean them up, they had some chunks out so I went through the grits and finished with a bit renaissance wax. Some might be surprised to here that the handles are made from buffalo horn.

I also finished the bar that holds the crown guard. I probably could of done with a steady because I was getting lots of 'feedback?' in the middle of the bar. The bar nearest is the original

I decided to redo the crown guard, I got some of that frog low tack tape which is only 14 times more expensive than normal masking tape. Still I was quite impressed, no bleed under or stuck bits of tape.

The mitre was looking a bit tired so I gave it a quick polish

I'm nearly finished, I just need to make some handles

That looks absolutely stunning, Mark. Congratulation, your work gets better and better.

Jim

This saw was missing its handle that screws into the slider, I thought I'd have a go at making one.

I also made a pin for the quadrant to pivot on.

Back