Wadkin MF restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never done an MF chain and chisel morticer so thought people might like to see it be made all pretty.
These things are pretty heavy lumps weighing in at 850kg

dSjXRc0.jpg

Can I spy brass on that door

TcuCqzU.jpg

This one dates from 1959

y33bjg7.jpg

qc8qyDt.jpg

AVfTWOb.jpg

On other morticers the motor is counterbalanced by a big lump of cast iron but on this they use a wound spring for each motor. To undo the tension you have to carefully release it a bit at a time, you can imagine the pull on the spring if it lifts up a 50kg motor

cfMmOqF.jpg

1k6LzD0.jpg

erpoG3F.jpg

WVZywFv.jpg

OXa5k3d.jpg

My early Sedgwick morticer is spring-balanced, although the motor is probably barely 25KG if that.

Looks to be in pretty good nick! Anything major need doing or is it just a spruce-up?

It will be getting the usual treatment, I tried it before hand and theirs an issue with the chain motor. It wouldn't run up and is very stiff to turn by hand

A bit more progress. This has been well cared for with only one green overpaint which was done really well.

XX06lry.jpg

Starting to prep for etch primer

2W9GJaX.jpg

vGDKpmS.jpg

Its nice when you see double row self aligning bronze bearings by Hoffman

q5D6WPM.jpg

And even nicer when you still see the hand scraping

MAjhUpK.jpg

eaEnbKP.jpg

2vQ3XST.jpg

PtOgtSI.jpg

Its -2 in the workshop so not good for spraying, may as well do some bling.

PtQgcTP.jpg

BmKEn41.jpg

AWt6Tqv.jpg

Flapper disc in a grinder then rotary in the drill followed by sanding to 1000 grit with the ROS

mQWUIps.jpg

Polished on a close stitched mop using silverline red compound followed by t-cut

CgJjYyl.jpg

DGeWnZB.jpg

Brilliant, Mark. Now that's what I call bling. Will you lacquer it to preserve the shine?

Jim

Trevanion":3gu9ari3 said:
Do you sell these somewhere or do you pretty much already have people in a queue to pick them up?

I sometimes get asked to do a machine, this MF plus another 4 machines are going to a guy in canada who has got bitten by the wadkin bug.
I usually put my own machines on ebay.

wallace":26cgr6pu said:
this MF plus another 4 machines are going to a guy in canada who has got bitten by the wadkin bug.

I wouldn't even want to know how much it would cost to ship something like that to Canada, let alone 4 times!

I wish I could get bit by the Wadkin bug, although I've worked with many Wadkin machines there never seems to be any for sale in this area (except an RS recently which is a little richly priced for my liking). Although about 90% of Wadkin machines wouldn't fit into my workshop door without a little butchering... of the building of course.

As always Wallace, I enjoy your restoration threads. I love the way you take a seemingly knackered piece of junk and return it to full glory.

=D> =D> =D>

Its pretty cold in the workshop which I don't mind apart from my hands which hurt due to white finger. This is my solution a chicken brooding lamp.

HwYoksS.jpg

The blower nozzle which is aluminium, it would be a shame not to give a bit spit and polish.

wOAsXup.jpg

One way to clean up parts is to put a rotary flapper sander in a drill in a vice.

8yeJfcj.jpg

Followed by a polish

KpyzJBj.jpg

8REp0LI.jpg

When doing bolts and little items I wire wheel degrease, then use gun blue. Then I put them in paint can tops and give a liberal coating of wd40. This also helps keep specific bolts with the correct part of he machine.

lTbDtAF.jpg

I do love seeing you bring back these machines to their original condition [well actually better] Great to follow your work and thanks for taking the time to photo and explain what and how you do all this fantastic restoration work.

wallace":3s1sep5i said:
That is so tempting, Is that the same model as Jacks

I think it is, although it's not "Jackified". I think Stenner only had a seriously short run of the "small" workshop kit, other than the big resaws I've only ever seen a Stenner Surface Planer with a second block on the fence and this is the 3rd Stenner morticer I've ever seen.

Would look great Wallacified :p

Latest posts

Back