• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Wadkin MD morticer restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Its been a very long time since I did a wip on a rebuild. For the last 6 months I've been working on a biggish planer, its all crated up waiting for its slow boat. I promised myself that I'd do a few of my own machines that I've been accumulating for the last few years.
This was bought for about £150 off ebay and shipped to my place for another £70. I dont have a good track record with morticers, they seem to fall over if you sneeze on them, or it could just be incompitent couriers.

This poor thing did a full flip and bounce off the tail lift

Luckily the one I'm doing arrived unscathed and has been languishing in the undergrowth for a couple of years. Sheeted and smeered with waxoyle.
First job was to drag it in the shed

It was originally a line shaft machine but has been converted to run via a motor, it must have been done quite early on. The starter and motor are pretty cool

I'm not sure on date, at a guess late 20's, Vann will be able to offer some advice.

Heres a leaflet of an earlier version

And heres my version on a photo used for the catalogue

Nearly everything came to bits easily

4hrs work and its in smaller bits

I'm considering doing this one differantly to my usual shiny ones. I quite like machines in their working clothes so to speak. So I dont think I'm going to paint it. Just rebuild. The white paint came off ok with some thinners

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
A bit more done, because wadkin machines were hand finished parts have a stamp to keep track of which machine they were to go on. I have found in the past that parts are not interchangeable from one machine to the same type.

They even stamped the keys

If the part cant go to the wire wheel

I find it easier to sand before wire wheeling

I've been trying this stuff, first impressions is I like it

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Time to take the head to bits

I'm always amazed at bolts that come out like this after 90 years

Time to strip the motor

peculiar voltage

I've never come across this before, the end bells are centered with little locking studs

This doesn't look legit to me, I cant imagine a motor maker would have the leads from the windings coming out like this, the gauge of wire looks very small.

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
Sweet shiny bolt, very odd motor that leaves so many unanswered questions, love the vintage sawdust collection it had going on.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
I know I said I wasn't going to tart this one up, but I couldn't resist just a little bit on the motor. There was very little original paint left.

A generous application of zinc 182

Followed by a touch of black enamel

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
As you say that wiring did look a bit on the small side but judging by the accumulation of tat inside the motor it’s been running like that for a long time!
What is the zinc 128, looks really good. Ian

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
Looks good but a little question if you don't mind. The oil cups for the bearings at the ends of the motor are horizontal. Does the oil still wick down to the bearings? Can the motor ends be rotated to put the oil cups vertical? Probably not after looking once more at the dirty motor pictures. I suppose it ran that way for many decades before you got it it can't matter a great deal.

Pete

Sandyn

Established Member
Reaction score
It is a beauty!! ready for the next 100 years. I like that it's sympathetically restored. It still shows it's age, but looks beautiful.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I always look forwards to and enjoy your restorations, they really are fascinating.

I like what you have done with this, if it was in my workshop I could get on with using it but if I owned some of your other restorations I would be worried about getting them dusty or dirty which kind of defeats the object!

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice.

I've just had a peep at your website and I'm super jelaous of your Wadkin table saw. You've done a lovely job with it.

baldkev

Established Member
Reaction score
How do you find the website? I looked in the profile bit ( im not very technically minded ) 🙄

Latest posts