Wadkin CO restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MattRoberts":3lt83dyc said:
I could look at your progress for hours - it's remarkably therapeutic!
Mostly, I agree. But looking at what's left of that fan...

aFan.jpg
...had me feeling remarkably stressed :?

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• aFan.jpg
    aFan.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 205
A few bits made pretty,

A wonder why the colour difference, maybe someone got the recipe wrong whilst casting

I quite the black look on some stuff, plus it helps stop the rust monster

The bearings for the saw spindle look in decent condition

I love doing these handles, I find it quite therapeutic

It has a nice little damper

Nice progress.
That black surface finish - you mentioned in another resto it was from caswell. Do you use all the prep, coat and condition solutions or skip any ? I was a bit unsure how 'economical' all the solutions would be if you did lots of items.
Tom

Yeah that's the stuff. All I bought from them was the blackening solution. I have it mixed with water in an ice cream tub. I've just kept it in there for two years now and its still working. My method is to clean with a wire wheel then degrease thoroughly. I use brake/clutch cleaner. Then submerge in the ice cream tub of solution. I take the bits out and give them a rub then put them back in. After a bit I put the bits in another tub and spray liberally with WD40 or 3 in 1 would work to disperse the water. Dry off then I use either Boeshield or renaissance wax

This is the blade flange that I bent a bit whilst trying to remove it. I was going to remove the brazing and try and weld it straight but since my welding is pants and the braze was still sound I skimmed it on the lathe. When its installed I will finish it off in place.

The reason it was so difficult in removing was because its really snug. I measured the difference in the hole to the spindle and it was 0.3mm. To get it back on it needed some heat and a decent wack with a big hammer.

I have started putting it back together.

For the blade guard I was wanting to do something different, shiny with the wadkin in red. I spent ages with the dremmel cleaning up inside the lettering but it looks naff compared to the rest of it. Its really hard to get a good finish in between the letters. If any one has a idea?

Not much to report apart from I got the starter cleaned up abit. This is new old stock from a hoard I acquired a while back. It had been on a shelf at a motor repair shop in Scotland for donkeys years until the old guy passed away then the daughter was going to scrap everything.

Finished'ish I still need to get some rubberised 4core wire and plum the motor in.

I still need to check and maybe grind the flange on the spindle

This is how it sits in the line up

Fantastic Wallace. It must be sooooooo satisfying. I've only sort-of-done one little plane and it brought a smile when it was finished. These must bring a cheshire cat grin!

Thanks chaps, I think for my next trick will be this big lump. Its in rough condition so I think my biggest challenge to date.

The good thing is when they look like sh*t it puts most people off, I've only come across one which needed decent money spent on it and that was for a motor rewind. They generally just a bit tlc.

Latest posts

Back